Rafael Nadal is fully focused on progressing as far as possible in this week’s Barcelona Open, which he refers to as his home tournament.
The eight-time former champion says he is wary of his first round match which could see him play fellow Spaniard Nicolas Almagro or Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi.
Nadal, who is seeded second, behind defending champion Kei Nishikori, says Almagro is an ”uncomfortable” opponent and ”a great player, always a dangerous rival”.
The clay specialist lost in the semifinals of the Monte Carlo Masters to Novak Djokovic on Saturday, but says that competition had been the most positive week of the year so far and the match had given him ”confidence and security”.
Nadal says Barcelona is too important to him to be considered simply as training for Paris.
There are many clay tournaments to follow, which Nadal will be looking to put on his side in order to be in a driver’s seat ahead of the Roland Garros, the French Open.
His recent injuries doesn’t deter him from playing tennis like he always used to in spite for the shocking losses coming to the hands of unseeded players too.
Undoubtedly, he will be the favorite again in Paris whereas world no.1 Novak Djokovic will look to clinch the trophy and complete his career slam by winning all the four majors to his name.