“The Rock” was finally rocking again, until IHRA’s financial mess pulled the plug. NASCAR brought racing back over Easter weekend in 2025; the crowd responded, and Rockingham proved it could still matter. But instead of building on that momentum, the track got swallowed by ownership chaos. Then came the irony, and for once, it worked in Rockingham’s favor. Bob Sargent, whose Track Enterprises had already helped bring NASCAR back to The Rock, suddenly emerged as the man who could help save its future.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
“Absolutely. Already in process and, you know, doing our best due diligence and already had discussions and, you know, even far along in that process? Yes, we are trying,” Sargent said on Sirius XM NASCAR Radio.
Well, Bob Sargent already wanted The Rock once, and IHRA beat him to it. After NASCAR’s 2025 Easter weekend comeback drew roughly 40,000 tickets across two days and packed more than 25,000 fans into the Xfinity race (NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series), Sargent made it clear Track Enterprises was interested in buying the speedway. He even said his group knew Dan Lovenheim was thinking about selling before the comeback weekend happened. But Rockingham became a hot property, IHRA won the race for ownership, and Sargent was left on the outside.
“We knew that Dan and his group were thinking about selling before our event. We’re definitely interested, and we obviously feel like we did a lot with our team and his together to bring NASCAR to the facility. We feel vested here, and want to continue that relationship, whether we take a run at the sale or we work with the new owner.” Bob said in 2025.
Well, back in December 2024, Darryl Cuttell came into IHRA as a sponsor and almost immediately took over the whole thing. His company, Darana Hybrid, signed a multi-year title deal at the PRI Trade Show, then just days later Cuttell bought IHRA and its assets from Larry Jeffers. He did not ease into ownership either. Bigger purses, revived Nitro Jam and Pro-Am racing, Pro Modified, Pro Stock, expanded sportsman programs, new offices, even an IHRA Hall of Fame were all pushed at once.
Cuttell went on an aggressive acquisition spree. IHRA bought or leased multiple racetracks, expanded into stock cars and powerboats, and kept pouring money into facilities, purses, and new racing programs. By January 2026, IHRA officials were still brushing off concerns about the spending.
Scott Woodruff who was working with Darryl Cuttell and IHRA told, “For a lot of endeavors like this, funding is the big issue. Funding is not our issue. It’s got to be the right people in the right place.” At the time, that confidence came from Cuttell’s Darana Hybrid business and its contract work with xAI, SpaceX, and Tesla.
That confidence is what makes what happened next so striking.
- December 31, 2025: IHRA ultimately bought Rockingham, leaving Sargent on the outside but still involved through Track Enterprises’ NASCAR promotion work. The purchase fit Cuttell’s larger plan to revive historic tracks, invest in infrastructure, expand racing programs, and turn The Rock into a long-term NASCAR partner.
- Early 2026: IHRA kept spending like the money would never run out, buying tracks, launching new tours, and promising bigger purses. But behind that expansion, Cuttell’s Darana Hybrid was getting pulled into a massive payment fight with Elon Musk-linked companies over data-center work. Cuttell claimed hundreds of millions had gone unpaid, while Musk-linked companies later accused Darana of overbilling and misusing project money. Suddenly, the business funding IHRA’s rise was trapped in a financial war.
- Spring into Summer 2026: The cracks showed fast. Executives left, schedules were cut, and IHRA’s big expansion suddenly looked shaky. After months of promising bigger races and bigger purses, the organization was canceling entire series by July.
- July 2026: The collapse was out in the open by July. IHRA canceled the rest of its 2026 Nitro Drag Racing Series and then pulled the plug on the remaining Stock Car Series events. Layoffs followed, while racers and vendors raised complaints about unpaid prize money and bills.
- Late July 2026: Cuttell’s Darana Hybrid then started filing major liens tied to Musk-linked data-center projects, claiming it was owed huge sums for completed work. Some of those liens reportedly topped $100 million, while Cuttell said the total unpaid amount was far higher.
- August 4, 2026: Musk-linked companies fired back with a federal lawsuit against Darana Hybrid, Cuttell, and Cuttell Motorsports, which operates IHRA. They accused Cuttell’s side of massive overbilling, including alleged markups as high as 880%, and of diverting project money into racing-related ventures. Cuttell insisted his companies were the ones still owed hundreds of millions for data-center work. By then, the fight had exploded into roughly $1 billion in competing claims
By August 2026, Rockingham was paying for IHRA’s mess. The racing had worked, the crowds had come back, and NASCAR had delivered two successful seasons, but the uncertainty around the facility became too much. Track Enterprises announced there would be no NASCAR-sanctioned racing at The Rock in 2027, even as Bob Sargent stressed that fan support had exceeded expectations.
“The decision comes amid overall uncertainty at the facility. Track Enterprises remains committed to exploring opportunities that could bring racing back to ‘The Rock’ in future seasons,” Track Enterprises said in a statement released on August 14, 2026. Then came the irony.
Rockingham had already done its job. The races worked, the fans came back, and the track proved it still belonged. The failure was upstairs, where unstable ownership turned a successful comeback into another shutdown.
Now It Is the Ownership in NASCAR That Needs Fixing
This is what makes the whole mess harder to defend. Rockingham was not some crumbling track begging to be saved. North Carolina had already poured more than $10 million into the facility between 2022 and 2025, and Richmond County even sent a $375,000 emergency payment tied to safety-barrier debt just to keep the 2026 NASCAR weekend alive.
The track had been funded, fixed, and proven; the racing delivered, and the fans showed up. Yet NASCAR is gone for 2027 because the owner’s finances blew up, not because anything failed on the track. Sargent knows the window to save that momentum is closing fast.
“I think something will be done in the next 30 to 60 days, as far as the property itself,” he said. “There is an urgency to get things done. And when that happens and it does become stable there, I think you’ll see some other movement pretty quickly.”
IHRA is now scrambling to sort out what happens to Cuttell’s tracks and sanctioning bodies, with a sale or auction possible. And when asked about other buyers, Sargent made it clear he did not want another fight for The Rock.
“I would hope I’m the only one,” he said. “I know we’ve put a lot of effort into it over the years. We’ve got a lot of ideas. We’ve got people in place. So we are prepared to move forward quickly.”
Sargent already knows 2027 is gone. But if his 30-to-60-day timeline holds, Rockingham could have stable ownership in place well before NASCAR begins shaping its 2028 plans, giving Track Enterprises the opening it has been waiting for.
Rockingham does not need another rescue. The upgrades are already there, NASCAR proved the track can still deliver, and the fans came back with it. The only thing missing now is stable ownership, and if Sargent’s timeline holds, The Rock may not have to wait long for it.

