“I Fully Expected This”: World of Outlaws Racing Series Champion’s Shocking Revelation After Massive COVID-19 Outbreak

By
August 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Recently, after the World of Outlaws race (The One and Only event) at Knoxville last week, many drivers and teams are reporting positive tests of COVID-19.

The sprint racing series said in a media statement, “Several drivers and crew members have tested positive for COVID-19.” Multiple time champion Donny Schatz made a shocking revelation, stating that he expected that this might happen.

The 10-times ‘World of Outlaws’ Series Champion got a COVID-19 test as a precaution. Thankfully, he tested negative and was cleared for racing next week. Talking to the media he said that it wasn’t surprising, and he expected it to happen sooner or later.

He said, “You know, the series has preached social distancing, Knoxville preached social distancing and all these things, but yet it doesn’t happen when the races are over,”.

Schatz added, “Things are still happening. I fully expected a driver to get it at some point. I guess all we can do is try to be proactive.”

As of now, three drivers and two teams have revealed their status as COVID-19 positive. And this puts a lot of other drivers and staff members under suspicion.

As a result, all the drivers and staff under suspicion won’t be participating in the upcoming races unless they are cleared as per the sanction bodies’ COVID-19 guidelines.

After the race, the Knoxville Raceway released a statement revealing that at least one of its employees has tested positive.

Additionally, Kraig Kinser Racing and Roth Motorsports made public statements announcing that their staff members have positive COVID-19 reports. After that, both teams also stated that they will not compete this weekend.

Many ‘World of Outlaws’ attendees under the radar

According to media reports, World of Outlaws allowed fans for an autograph session with the drivers before the race. And this puts numerous fans under the radar for being a potential COVID-19 carrier.

After the news of the incident broke out, organizers gave a statement assuring everyone that all possible measured will follow to improve the situation.

They said, “The World of Outlaws will continue to follow the CDC COVID-19 Guidelines, ramping up some of the initial precautions from earlier in the season: temperature screening and questionnaires, social distancing and masks, and as an added precaution, the Pit Area at upcoming World of Outlaws events will remain closed to fans after racing until further notice.”

READ MORE- Could Kyle Larson Make His Nascar Return Driving a Ford Car Next Season?

Mrinal Kuniyal

Mrinal Kuniyal has been a contributor to EssentiallSports since early 2020 and has focused on Formula 1, NASCAR, and IndyCar. He's a management graduate and his areas of interest include motorsports, marketing, and music.

Disqus Comments Loading...