“Made Me Play Defense Instead of Offense” – Ryan Newman Shuts Down the Haters Amidst Uncertain NASCAR Future

Published 01/15/2022, 4:55 AM EST
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA – SEPTEMBER 27: Ryan Newman, driver of the #6 Performance Plus Ford, during practice for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bank of America ROVAL 400 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on September 27, 2019 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)


Ryan Newman recently sat down for an interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio and laid it all out on the table. The 44-year-old driver who will be out of a seat in NASCAR talked about his former team, Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing, his unplanned retirement, and his future in racing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The 2008 Daytona 500 winner spoke about the criticism he received for his poor performances in the last few years of his career. Newman had finished 28th in 2021, his worst season finish while his last win came in 2017.

And for that, Newman had an interesting reply to all those who doubt him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

He said, “I wasn’t tough to pass until later in my career when I had cars that made me play defense instead of offense. Nobody talked about how tough I was to pass for the first 10 years when I was leading a bunch of laps & passing people.”

Ryan Newman will race in 2022, but not where fans expect him to

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Despite admitting to an uncertain future in racing last year, Newman insisted that there were no plans for him to retire post-2021, that he is “definitely interested in continuing to race.” “That’s why there was no retirement party. There was no retirement plan. There was no Ryan’s last ride or anything like that because that wasn’t the intention,” Newman added.

Speaking about his future, Newman said he has “some plans.” “I’m doing some short-track grassroots racing this year, but there’s nothing else planned right now. I know what I would want to do,” he described.

DARLINGTON, SOUTH CAROLINA – AUGUST 31: Ryan Newman, driver of the #6 Oscar Mayer/Velveeta Ford, stands on the grid during qualifying for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in Darlington, South Carolina. (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

But it’s not wrong to assume that Newman, who will turn 45 this year, might not manage a full-time seat in NASCAR again. But it doesn’t matter to him because he is open to part-time. He insists that whatever he does next, it would be “for fun.” 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

And as for his age, he said something which his fans will undoubtedly agree on, “I’m getting older, but I’m far from dead.”

Enjoyed reading this article? Download our exclusive app to get 24x7 coverage, latest memes and social media banter. Click here to download.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Shaharyar Khan Chauhan

509 articles

Shaharyar is an F1 & NASCAR writer at EssentiallySports. A graduate in Journalism from Amity University, he has been a passionate follower of motorsports for a better part of the decade. A Max Verstappen and Ferrari supporter, he dreams of a pairing of the two in future.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT