The first big wreck in the NASCAR Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday came very late in the race. 10 drivers were involved in the wreck that started when rookie Tyler Reddick and Kyle Busch made contact. One of those drivers was Ryan Newman, who expressed his utter displeasure at Reddick for causing it.
Reddick was in second place with Busch leading the race when the lap started. Reddick then moved to the bottom of the track going into Turns 3 and 4, attempting went to take the lead. It wasn’t the smartest of moves from Reddick who then went in front of Busch and made contact with him.
That affected Busch and led to a chaotic incident as a host of other cars went haywire in the wreck. Erik Jones, Kurt Busch, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Austin Dillon, and Ryan Preece were all collected in the crash, apart from Newman.
“That was just stupid,” Reddick said on his team radio, after realizing he caused the wreck.
However, Newman did not hide his frustration at Reddick for ending his race. “I feel fine. The No. 8 car (Reddick) obviously just ran out of talent,” Ryan Newman said after the race. “It seems like you can win a couple of Xfinity championships and still stick your head where the sun don’t shine when the time comes right,” he added.
Newman was referring to the two NASCAR Xfinity Series that Reddick has won in his career so far.
“I’m just disappointed. It was kind of an average race sitting there waiting with our Guaranteed Rate Ford and never got a chance to show how good a car we had,” Newman further said.
Newman was eliminated due to the incident and finished in 36th place. Along with him, Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, Jones, Stenhouse Jr., and Reddick were also eliminated. Reigning Cup Series champion Kyle Busch remains winless this season. He finished in 33rd place with Reddick finished in 29th place.