Earlier this week, reports emerged that former Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens safety Earl Thomas was called up by the Houston Texans for a potential trial.
The reports further claimed that the Houston-based franchise will offer Thomas a short-term deal. However, Texans’ Head Coach, Bill O’Brien, confirmed on Wednesday that Thomas will not be signing for his team anytime soon.
In an earlier interview, O’Brien stated that Thomas was in line to give a trial for the Texans this week. But things took a turn for the worse when reports of a COVID-19 outbreak at the Tennessee Titans organization emerged on Tuesday.
The Texans thought it best to cancel Thomas’ trial in order to avoid further complications. “Earl Thomas is a hell of a player. He’s had a great career. Again, we had a bunch of guys in and we decided to cancel.
“We’ll see how it goes moving forward. That’s really what it was. It’s not anything other than that and we’ve got a lot of respect for Earl. We had a bunch of guys in here ready to work out and we said instead of keeping those guys holed up in a hotel, potentially to be there for several days.
“We didn’t know at that point. It was better for us to just cancel the workouts,” O’Brien told The Houston Chronicle in a recent interview.
The Texans have already placed safety AJ Moore on the injury reserve list. They will definitely be looking to bring in a replacement, sooner rather than later.
Meanwhile, the Jerry Jones-owned Dallas Cowboys are also rumored to be interested in signing Earl Thomas on a short-term deal. However, there are no confirmed reports linking the 29-year-old to the Cowboys for now.
Jones had earlier said that he ‘aware’ that Thomas is available and is on their radar. But the Cowboys are yet to make an approach for the controversial defensive star.