No truth in Man City exit talks, says Bony

Published 01/20/2016, 8:08 AM EST
Football – Manchester City Training – City Football Academy, Manchester, England – 14/9/15. Manchester City’s Wilfried Bony during training. Action Images via Reuters / Carl Recine. Livepic


REUTERS – Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony has dismissed British media reports linking him with a return to former club Swansea City during the January transfer window, by saying that he is happy at the Etihad Stadium.

Bony had earlier expressed his disappointment at losing his starting place to a returning Sergio Aguero after manager Manuel Pellegrini opted to start the Argentine in the 2-1 Premier League defeat by Arsenal on Dec. 21.

“I’m happy at the club, all this speculation is not true. I have a contract so I’m happy and I think I’m at one of the top clubs in the United Kingdom,” the 27-year-old told the BBC.

Bony has played second fiddle to Aguero for much of his career at City, having made 27 Premier League appearances since he joined the club in January 2015, 16 of which were as a substitute.

“I have no regrets about joining Man City. We play in the Champions League and we’re one of the top clubs in the world. I’m happy here and I can just say I’m blessed,” the Ivory Coast international said.

City, who are third in the table after 22 games, just a point behind leaders Arsenal, travel to take on sixth-placed West Ham United on Saturday.

(Reporting by Shravanth Vijayakumar in Bengaluru)

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Dhruv George

12001 articles

Dhruv George is a senior Formula One and NASCAR analyst for EssentiallySports, having authored nearly 12000 articles spanning different sports like F1, NASCAR, Tennis, NFL, and eSports. He graduated with a PG Diploma in Journalism from the Xavier Institute of Communications. Dhruv has also conducted interviews with F1 driver Pierre Gasly and Moto2 rider Tony Arbolino.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT