Paraguay officials raid South American soccer confederation CONMEBOL

Published 01/08/2016, 1:05 AM EST
Police vehicles are parked outside the headquarters of CONMEBOL in Luque, Paraguay, January 7, 2016. Paraguayan state prosecutors on Thursday raided the headquarters of South American soccer confederation CONMEBOL, in a further development in the corruption scandal rocking the business of global soccer. REUTERS/Jorge Adorno


By Daniela Desantis

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

ASUNCION (Reuters) – Paraguayan state prosecutors on Thursday raided the headquarters of South American soccer confederation CONMEBOL after a request for cooperation from U.S. justice officials probing corruption inside world soccer, the prosecution office said.

CONMEBOL lawyer Cristóbal Cáceres said the raid was linked to the case pending in the United States against former long-time confederation chief Nicolás Leoz, who was indicted for corruption and is facing extradition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The raid sought documents detailing “business concessions and broadcasting rights for sporting events,” the prosecution office said in a statement. It was led by two prosecutors who specialize in money laundering and financial crimes.

People work in the offices of CONMEBOL in Luque, Paraguay, January 7, 2016. REUTERS/Jorge Adorno

U.S. indictments against 41 defendants, including senior soccer officials from South and Central America, include schemes that involved hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks sought for marketing and television rights to tournaments and matches.

“We are providing the documents that are being asked for,” Cáceres said, adding that “some of the documents pertaining to doctor Leoz are not here.”

The headquarters building is on the outskirts of Paraguay’s capital city, Asuncion, where Leoz, 87, has under house arrest since May, after being indicted.

People work near an escalator in the headquarters of CONMEBOL in Luque, Paraguay, January 7, 2016. REUTERS/Jorge Adorno

Two other soccer bosses, a former president of Honduras and a former head of CONMEBOL, last month pleaded not guilty to U.S. charges they took bribes in exchange for media and marketing contracts.

Rafael Callejas, who was president of Honduras from 1990 to 1994 and later became president of its soccer federation, and Juan Angel Napout, a Paraguayan and former head of CONMEBOL, went to the United States voluntarily after their indictment was unsealed on Dec. 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

They are among 41 people and entities charged in a U.S. corruption sweep that has sent soccer’s world governing body, FIFA, into an unprecedented crisis.

Napout is charged with soliciting bribe payments from two sports marketing firms to secure his support for awarding commercial rights to soccer tournaments, including the popular Copa Libertadores.

In parallel investigations, Swiss and U.S. authorities are focusing on whether business contracts and the World Cup hosting rights for 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar were won with the help of bribery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

(Reporting by Daniela Desantis, writing by Hugh Bronstein; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Lisa Shumaker)

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Dhruv George

11640 articles

Dhruv George is a senior Formula One and NASCAR analyst for EssentiallySports, having authored nearly 12000 articles spanning different sports like F1, NASCAR, Tennis, NFL, and eSports. He graduated with a PG Diploma in Journalism from the Xavier Institute of Communications. Dhruv has also conducted interviews with F1 driver Pierre Gasly and Moto2 rider Tony Arbolino.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT