World No.2, Rafael Nadal skipped the Cincinnati Masters, last year in order to preserve his fitness for the US Open after clinching the title at the Rogers Cup. The Spaniard was sure that his only warm-up event at the Rogers Cup will be sufficient preparation for New York as he withdrew from the Western & Southern Open at the last minute.

Rafael Nadal is once again unsure about his participation at the 2019 Cincinnati Masters. His main focus is on making sure that he is ready for the 2019 US Open. The 33-year-old sent an ominous warning to their rivals ahead of the 2019 US Open as he aims to arrive in New York with full preparations.

Rafael Nadal

The 18-time grand slam champion suggested that he will make a decision on Cincinnati based on his performance at the Rogers Cup in Montreal, where he looks to defend the title.

Rafael Nadal opened up about his fitness and revealed that he will soon travel to Montreal (probably on August 2) for his preparations. He said, “I think that I’m in good shape this year, I’m strong. I’ll soon travel to Montreal as I want to spend some days there to finish my preparation. After Wimbledon, I felt some tiredness and I took a rest but now I am training well on hard courts.” 

 

Rafael Nadal also talked about his schedule for the US Open series and said, “Depending on what happens in Montreal, I’ll take a decision on Cincinnati. Cincinnati is still an option.”

“I have one thing very clear though and it is that I want to arrive well prepared and ready for the US Open, the last major of the season,” the 2017 US Open champion said.

Rafael Nadal

The draw for the Canadian Open, which is scheduled to start from next week will take place on Friday with the defending champion, Rafael Nadal being the top seed. Earlier, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer withdrew from the Rogers Cup 2019. Dominic Thiem, Alexander Zverev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, and Kei Nishikori will join Nadal as the top 5 seeds.