Rafael Nadal Won’t Be Seen in ATP Vienna 2020, Tournament Director Confirms

Published 10/20/2020, 12:57 PM EDT
Tennis – French Open – Roland Garros, Paris, France -Spain’s Rafael Nadal walks out on to the court before the final REUTERS/Christian Hartmann


The Vienna Open is all set to begin from next week on Monday. But it looks like the tournament has seen quite the action before its inauguration. From limiting the crowd (1000 now) to now losing Rafael Nadal. Nevertheless, the competition is bound to be an unmissable event with seven World Top 10 Players participating in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Straka on Vienna without Rafael Nadal

Starting from 26 October 2020, the event is already facing an unpleasant situation from a financial point of view. By losing much of its live audiences, due to precautionary measures, it remains undetermined – the success of the show. And adding to that, it received yet another major blow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Herwig Straka, director of the tournament, confirmed the news that Rafa will not be coming to Vienna. He said, “We spoke at the end of last week. He won’t come.”

It is sad news for tennis fans who were recently revived by Nadal’s paranormal performance at the French Open. But the director believes otherwise. He further added, “From the first round you have to reckon with the number twelve as the first-round opponent.”

However, with fewer audiences in the stands, it can prove to be harmful to their pockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

5,000 to 2,000, then 1,500 and …

Crowd’s support is an undeniable factor in a candidate’s win or loss. 2020 Erste Bank Open, unfortunately, is standing at the bitter side of this reality. As the number of audiences grows narrower by the day, it seems hard to be prepared for such a ball game.

Straka said, “The capacity has been reduced again and again in the last few weeks. From originally 5,000 to 2,500, then 1,500 and after it had been foreseen in the last few weeks that things would not improve, but rather worsen, we prepared for the worst-case and already expected  that it will be even less.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Even after preparing for the worst case, the monetary matters might have a rocky road ahead. Adding to his previous words, the director said, “In this respect, it is an extremely unpleasant situation from a financial point of view.”

Keeping in mind 7 Top 10 players competing (including World No.1 Novak Djokovic) with each other, it seems certain that the tournament will live up to its expectations – spectator-wise.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Purav Joshi

1142 articles

Purav Joshi is a Tennis author at EssentiallySports. Having a degree in Films, Television and Media Production, he guided his passion for writing and journalism into the sport of aces and rallies. With over 2 years of experience as a copywriter, Purav has authored over 500 tennis articles.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT