Now Reading
Red Steel beat Amazon Warriors to reach CPL Finals 

Red Steel beat Amazon Warriors to reach CPL Finals 

Red Steel beat Amazon Warriors with six wickets in hand and nine balls to spare, to march into today’s final with the Tridents.

Batting first on a slow pitch, the Warriors got a good start from Lendl Simmons and Trevon Griffith, who replaced Fudadin, as the opening pair made 12 runs off Bravo’s first over. By the third over there were 19 runs on the board but a stunning catch by Johan Botha in Kevon Cooper’s over removed Giffith for 5 off 8 balls. Denesh Ramdin came in to join Simmons and the two took it to 50, before Ramdin fell to Sulieman Benn (caught and bowled) for 6 off of 15 balls.

Samuel Badree soon dismissed Brad Hodge for 4 and Sunil Narine for a duck as the Warriors’ innings began to crumble. Soon they were 55 for 4 from. One run was added to the score before Umar Akmal was caught by Kallis for a duck off Benn. However Simmons continued to bat well and was able to score his half century as wickets began to tumble at the other end. Barnwell was run out for 12, Wiese for 5 and Permaul for 1 and finally Simmons too was run out for 64 off 51 balls. Bishoo and de Lange both made 2 runs each, taking the total to 108 for 9.

With a target of just 109 to win, Red Steel started off badly as Devendra Bishoo took Cameron Delport’s wicket in the first over with just 2 runs on the board. However Kamran Akmal turned up the heat and made 49 off 40 balls and steadied the Red Steel innings, before falling victim to  Sunil Narine. Darren Bravo hit a few boundaries to make 22, but he too was dismissed quickly. Simmons took a great catch in the deep from Marchant de Lange and Bravo departed with the score only 84 for 4. The injured Kallis only contributed 8 runs as he was in pain while at the crease.

At this point in the game the Red Steel fans were jittery as the run rate slowed down. Wiese, who conceded 23 runs in his first over, was brought back, and Mohammed  and Bravo scored quick singles and twos to bring it down to 12 runs from 14 balls. A six by Mohammed took it to 6 from 13 balls. By this time the Oval erupted in wild celebration again as the joyous crowd knew their team had advanced to the final, as only a miracle could could save GAW. Finally it all ended with a single from Dwayne Bravo, who saw his side home. Kamran Akmal was awarded man of the match for his 49 runs.

Red Steel now have two consecutive wins, having defeated the Tallawahs earlier.

They face the Tridents in the finals of the CPL later today.

Scroll To Top