World No.3 Roger Federer has confirmed that he will not participate in any lead-up events prior to the Australian Open 2020 due to his long list of exhibition matches.

Speaking at the media day for the ATP World Tour Finals 2019 in London, Roger Federer revealed his schedule plans for the 2020 season and is confident that the decision to not play a warm-up tournament before the Australian Open 2020 won’t flip on him, having always competed at the Hopman Cup in recent years.

Roger Federer

“Hope not. But at the end of the day I think with age and experience I can be confident about what I do in training,” Roger Federer told the reporters on Friday.

Federer, who has competed at the Hopman Cup in the previous three seasons, pairing with Belinda Bencic to represent Switzerland explained that he will travel to Melbourne early in order to prepare for the first Grand Slam of the season.

Roger Federer

“I’ll travel to Melbourne early to make sure I give myself the best chance to get ready,” Federer said. “I believe I can be ready, I don’t think I need a tonne of matches always, especially on the hard courts. Maybe I’m a bit more dependent on the draw earlier on in the Australian Open. The key is health. I don’t know what to tell you.”

That last time Roger Federer did not compete in a warm-up event ahead of the Australian Open back in 2013. At the 2013 Australian Open, the 20-time Grand Slam champion was knocked out in the semifinals.

Earlier, the 38-year-old also took the decision to pull out of the inaugural ATP Cup in Australia in early January for “family reasons”.

Also Read: Switzerland Forfeit ATP Cup 2020 as Roger Federer Announces Withdrawal Due to Family Reasons

Roger Federer is put with the defending runner-up Novak Djokovic, Dominic Thiem and Matteo Berrettini in the Bjorn Borg group at the ATP World Tour Masters 2019.