“Things Don’t Come Easy Anymore”: Roger Federer Reflects on His Loss to Felix Auger-Aliassime at ATP Halle 2021

Published 06/17/2021, 12:30 AM EDT
Tennis – French Open – Roland Garros, Paris, France – June 5, 2021 Switzerland’s Roger Federer during his third round match against Germany’s Dominik Koepfer REUTERS/Christian Hartmann


The impossible happened at Halle on Wednesday as 10-time champion Roger Federer crashed out in the round-of-16 after losing to in-form Canadian tennis star Felix Auger-Aliassime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The match appeared to be going to script at the end of the opening set as Federer leveraged a break of serve to take it 6-4.

However, the momentum shifted thereafter in a way that the Swiss wouldn’t have imagined as the Canadian, having suddenly found his range and rhythm, blitzed the champion 6-3 in the second and 6-2 in the decider to romp home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

After raising visions of a strong grass court season with an impressive run at Roland-Garros, the defeat on Wednesday will have raised fresh doubts on his prospects at All England.

Roger Federer says he wasn’t happy with the deciding set went down

Speaking to reporters after the shock defeat, an understandably downcast Federer admitted that he wasn’t happy with how he failed to put up a fight in the deciding set.

He said he was emotionally overwrought after the defeat and hence, wanted to take some time before arriving for the press conference as he did not want to speak any word in anger in an emotionally vulnerable state.

“Today I needed time to digest the third set, I was unhappy for how it ended, was similar to Geneva one. I took my time before coming into (the) press conference because I didn’t want to say wrong things played by emotions,” Federer said.

Reflecting on his extended phase in rehabilitation after undergoing a second knee surgery last year, the 39-year-old said that the spell where he was trying to regain full fitness was a huge challenge for him.

He added that things are never the same for an athlete when he has undergone multiple surgeries.

The Swiss had withdrawn from the French Open after coming through a grueling four-set win in his third-round victory over German Dominik Koepfer.

Federer says the rehab process was a challenge for him

Federer released a statement saying that he pulled out on the advice of his team and underlined the importance of listening to one’s body at his age.

“The rehab process was a huge challenge for me. Everybody who has had multiple surgeries knows what I’m talking about. Things don’t come easy anymore and that’s sometimes is the major concern,” the champion said.

Watch This Link: Madrid Open: When Roger Federer Became the Only Player to Win a Title on Infamous Blue Clay

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

With not much time left between now and the start of Wimbledon, the Swiss knows he is in a race against time to get himself into gear for All-England.

DIVE DEEPER

“The Fire is There and It’s Burning”: Roger Federer Reflects on Return to Tennis After Surgery

2 months ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The task is cut out for the champion but knowing how he has redefined the word ‘impossible’ time after time, resurrecting the grass court season is not beyond him.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

1101 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

essentiallysports's Stories