Roger Federer was stunned by Andrey Rublev in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 in the third round of the Western and Southern Open 2019 on Thursday.
In a post-match interview, Roger Federer revealed his plans heading into the US Open 2019 after a shock defeat in Cincinnati. The loss meant that the 20-time Grand Slam champion will not be able fave any top-10 opponent in the build-up to the US Open 2019, which scheduled to start from the last week of August.
The Swiss Maestro didn’t create a panic like situation after his loss at the Cincinnati Masters 2019. He said, “I mean, look, also very important for me is always to see that I’m injury-free and I’m feeling good. Regardless of what the outcome of this week, I’m happy I came here, had good practice sessions.”
Roger Federer was certainly disappointed with the result as he said, “Look, I had two matches here and hoped it would have gone better. But the plan is always not to lose first round. The plan is always not to lose the second round. The plan is never really to be at the weekend. It’s trying to be there.”
The 38-year-old also revealed that he didn’t know what to do after his defeat. “So when this kind of results happens, I don’t know what you can do,” he said. “You walk away from it and say, like, What’s the plan? I don’t know. I just walked off the court.”
Roger Federer said that a discussion with his team will determine his schedule until the US Open 2019, starting from 26th August.
He further added, “I will speak to the team about it. I will have a few more days off now, I’m sure, before the US Open. I worked very hard coming into Cincinnati, you know, and sort of in that little season we had since Wimbledon, so I can maybe also utilize a couple of days off.”
“I’m going to train, exactly what I need to do for the Open, and that’s it. It’s fairly simple, keep it simple, but I’ve got to work hard.”
MBA tech grad.| Sports enthusiast| Writer by passion