Dominic Thiem Announces Unfortunate News, Yet to gain Full Fitness For Monte Carlo Masters 2021

Published 03/31/2021, 4:24 PM EDT
DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Dominic Thiem of Austria reacts during his singles match against Lloyd Harris of South Africa during Day Ten of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis at Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by Francois Nel/Getty Images)


Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem has withdrawn from Monte Carlo Masters, a prestigious event in clay-court swing doubling up as an ideal tune-up for the French Open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The current World Number 4 had been complaining about a foot problem in his recent matches on Tour.

Dominic Thiem has declared that he is still not ready to compete

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

It’s understood that the reigning US Open champion has admitted that he is “still not ready to compete” and has, hence, withdrawn from the event.

Thiem made a pre-quarters exit at this year’s Australian Open after losing to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets.

Going into the Dimitrov clash following a stupendous come-from-behind win against home favorite Nick Kyrgios, the tame loss of the 2020 runners-up left many utterly bemused.

LONDON, ENGLAND – NOVEMBER 22: Dominic Thiem of Austria falls over during his match against Daniil Medvedev of Russia on Day 8 of the Nitto ATP World Tour Finals at The O2 Arena on November 22, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by TPN/Getty Images)

He followed up with a quarter-final loss to Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut in Doha and a shocking first-round rout at the hands of rising South African Lloyd Harris at the Dubai Open.

The Austrian later withdrew from the ongoing Miami Open.

Dominic Thiem’s father had played down concerns around his foot problem

However, in a recent interview with Kleine Zeitung, Thiem’s father Wolfgang sought to play down concerns around his foot.

He said his son developed the foot issue from frequently sliding on hard courts and should be fine with proper management of the problem.

“These are small things that just happen again and again when Dominic plays on hard court,” Wolfgang said.

Dispelling fears around his fitness, Thiem senior said his son is “doing well” and his medical team was merely in the process of checking a “few things”.

“Everyone has their weak point. But it’s nothing serious, otherwise it’d also hurt if he didn’t put any weight on the foot,” Thiem’s father said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

However, his absence in Monte Carlo is sure to raise doubts on his participation at this year’s French Open.

The Austrian had earlier been quoted as saying that he had set sights on beating 13-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal at Roland-Garros this year.

Thiem had lost the French Open final to the Spaniard in back-to-back editions of the tournament in 2018 and 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

“These Are Small Things”: Dominic Thiem’s Father Plays Down His Foot Problem

about 1 month ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Priyabrata Chowdhury

824 articles

Priyabrata Chowdhury is a tennis author for EssentiallySports. He has been a print journalist for a decade, producing news pages for leading national dailies such as the Hindustan Times and The New Indian Express. His passion for sports eventually drove him to tennis writing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT