Starting last year, the US Open‘s mixed doubles event has been a major hit with many high-profile players participating in the main draw, leading to the tournament garnering massive attention. But former ATP British pro Andrew Castle isn’t a big fan and feels the revamp has majorly affected several specialist doubles players.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
“It’s a shame for mixed doubles, like the proper players, because this is, for me, an exhibition. It’s a one-week filler,” he told Betway. “So, everybody’s looking to extend their Grand Slams that extra week through qualifying on site, through various activities, including the one-point challenge in Australia for a million bucks.”
“The mixed doubles is filling that role, so… so kind of the people who play doubles, that’s less jobs for them, and the tournament is over before it’s begun, for them, and there are less jobs for doubles people. So that’s my first thought. My second thoughts really are, okay, it’s extending the revenue raising into a third week for a two-week Grand Slam.”
Castle’s concerns do make sense, as barely any doubles specialists have participated in the mixed doubles event since it was revamped last year. Fans come in numbers to see the exciting pairs that are formed between the top players on the ATP and WTA circuits.
While the event may garner big crowds now, it isn’t the same as it used to be, as many mixed doubles pairs who used to be present in the draw before aren’t able to make the cut anymore. This points to a greater chance of actual doubles specialists losing significance from the sport itself, argues Castle.
That being said, multiple renowned doubles pairs can enter the main draw this time around. This includes Katerina Siniakova and Henry Patten, Gabriela Dabrowski and Harri Heliovaara, and Luisa Stefani and Neal Skupski. They will all be participating in the qualifying event that will be held on August 24.
Two-time defending champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori have entered the draw after receiving wildcards. With a total of 16 pairs participating in the draw, it remains to be seen which one of them will make the cut.
The USTA has confirmed that 11 of the 16 pairs have been decided. The remaining pairs will be decided through wildcards and the qualifiers. The draw is already looking very interesting, with many high-profile pairs in the mix.
Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka are set to headline the US Open mixed doubles event
The marquee pair of the draw is Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka. This is a pair that fans have wanted to see for years, and this will be the first time that they will be in doubles action. Tickets for their matches will sell like hotcakes.

Imago
January 11, 2024: Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka team up for a doubles match on Rod Laver Arena in a charity event for the Australian Tennis Foundation ahead of the Australian Open which starts on 14 January. /Cal Media USA – ZUMAc04_ 20240111_faf_c04_025 Copyright: xSydneyxLowx
Apart from them, there are many other strong pairs who have made the cut. This includes Elena Rybakina and Taylor Fritz, Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud, Belinda Bencic and Flavio Cobolli, Amanda Anisimova and Learner Tien.
The wildcards have been handed to the likes of Alexandra Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime, Elina Svitolina and Gael Monfils, Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori, Taylor Townsend and Alexander Zverev, and Leylah Fernandez and Frances Tiafoe.
Initially, a total of 11 pairs had been decided, as Diana Shnaider and Daniil Medvedev had received direct entry into the draw. But the latter withdrew from the event after he received a wildcard to play the ATP 250 event in Winston-Salem.
Medvedev made the decision because he is prioritizing singles and needs substantial match practice before the US Open. He has played just three matches in the hard-court season so far, winning one and losing two.
Notably, Medvedev isn’t the only one to have pulled out of a partnership for the mixed doubles event. Naomi Osaka had also withdrawn from the event because of scheduling issues, even though she had initially formed a pair alongside his compatriot, Kei Nishikori.

