2018 has been another year filled with surprises and upsets. Thrills and spills, and some sad and controversial moments as well. However, today we look at some of the best and stand out comebacks of the year, in WTA as well as the ATP in the singles category.
10. Gael Monfils vs John Isner (Indian Wells)The Frenchman Gael Monfils withstood a barrage of aces and volleys from the giant American, to come back from a set down at the Indian Wells 6-7, 7-6, 7-5.
9. Simona Halep vs Angelique Kerber (French Open)
Simona Halep looked like she was on her way out of the French Open. However she turned the battle around, by mixing up her game and overcoming the former world number one after trailing by a set 6-7,6-3,6-2.
8. Garcia Lopez vs Stanislas Wawrinka(French open)
After being up two sets to one, it looked like Wawrinka was going to go through to the next round. However, the Spaniard staged an incredible comeback, to oust the Swiss in five enthralling sets. 6-2,3-6,4-6,7-6,6-3.
7. Elina Svitolina vs Sloane Stephens(WTA Finals)
Elina Svitolina stamped her authority on the WTA roster, as she won the biggest title of her career at the WTA finals. However, she ahd to find some of her best tennis to overcome the American Sloane Stephens in three tight sets. 3-6,6-2,6-2.
6. Kevin Anderson vs John Isner (Wimbledon)
The battle of the giants went all the way, and the South American prevailed over the American after over a 100 aces were fired throughout the course of the match. 7-6,6-7,6-7,6-4,26-24.
5. Simona Halep vs Sloane Stephens (French open)
Simona Halep registered her first ever grand slam title at the Roland Garros, but had to come from a set down to beat the former US Open champion in 3 sets. 3-6,6-4,6-1.
4. Rafael Nadal vs Juan Martin Del Potro (Wimbledon)Rafael Nadal overcame a rejuvenated and inspired Del Potro, coming back from the brink of defeat to make it to the semifinals of Wimbledon in 5 sets.7-5,6-7,4-6,6-4,6-4
3. Rafael Nadal vs Dominic Thiem (US Open)
Regarded as one of the best matches of the year, the US Open battle between the clay court specialists went all the way. After loosing the first set without winning a single game, Nadal bounced back to seal one of the most epic battles of the year. 0-6,6-4,7-5,6-7,7-6
2. Kevin Anderson vs Roger Federer (Wimbledon)
Kevin Anderson, created ripples around the center court, when he dethroned the Swiss Maestro in his own backyard. It looked like a regulation win for Federer after blitzing through the first two sets. However, Anderson refused to back down, and his perseverance paid off, as he caused the biggest upsets and comebacks of the season.
1. Hsieh Su-wei vs Simona Halep (Wimbledon)
At the age of 32, the little known Taiwanese created the biggest upset of the season, as she beat the world number one Simona Halep, after losing the first set. Halep was the strong favorite to win the title after her success at the French open. However, Wei had other plans, staging one of the best comebacks of the year, in spectacular fashion. 3-6,6-4,7-5.