2018 has drawn its curtains on the season, and what a season it has been. From the resurgence of Novak Djokovic, to Naomi Osaka’s dream title, the year has been full of surprises. We take a look at some of the moments that stood out in the 2018 season.
10. Wozniacki winsCaroline Wozniacki, finally grabbed hold of the trophy that she had longed for so long. After a marathon match in the finals against Simona Halep, the Dane finally came through to lift her maiden Grand Slam Trophy.
9. Roger Federer’s Dream StartRoger Federer continued his fairy-tale love affair with Australia, and started the year off with his best win streak in his entire career, with a 17–0 start to the year(21–0 with victories at the Hopman Cup). His previous best start had been 16–0 back in 2006
8. Rafael Nadal’s Dominance continuesRafael Nadal won his 11th title, continuing his legacy at the French Open, and showing us why even at his age he is still the man to beat on clay.
7. Simona Halep Breaks her ShacklesSimona Halep captured the hearts in WTA, as the world number one got her hands on her first ever Grand Slam trophy, as she came back from a set down to defeat the American Sloane Stephens in the finals of the French Open.
6. Federer and Djokovic pair up for Laver cupNovak Djokovic paired up with Roger Federer, to play doubles, and it was a treat to watch. Two of the best players on the tour who have time and time again gone toe-to-toe against each other, decided to come together for one special moment in tennis.
5. Novak Djokovic returns to where he belongsNovak Djokovic blitzed through the second half of the 2018 season, winning Wimbledon and then backing it up with a US Open title. He then went on to cement his place on top of the world, usurping Rafael Nadal from the world number one position.
4. Dominic Thiem reaches Grand Slam FinalsDominic Thiem, made a statement at the French Open this year, as the young Austrian, made it to the finals. The younger generation has been criticized for their lack of performances at the majors, and Thiem showed us why he has a bright future ahead, specially on the dirt.
3. Elina Svitolina captures WTA finalsElina Svitolina, stunned everyone at the WTA finals, stringing up the best performances of her career, to lift the year end trophy in style. The youngster is surely the one to look out for in the next year, as she looks to emulate her success on a consistent basis.
2. Alexander Zverev is the man to beatProbably the best tennis he has ever played in his career, Zverev beat arguably the best players of his era in consecutive matches, to lift the biggest title of his career. Zverev who was tipped to be the next big star of the ATP, had disappointed spectators and pundits alike as he failed to live up to their expectations. However, the addition of Ivan Lendl in his team seemed to have done the trick, as he finally found himself at the end of 2018.
1. Noami Osaka Captures the US Open title The first on our list, is the Japanese youngster, Naomi Osaka, who has won millions of hearts all around the world, with her charming aura on and off the court. With all the drama that unfolded around her during the US Open, the effervescent prodigy kept her cool to beat her idol and the player who has won more slams than anyone on the tour.