Today’s Transfer Talk: Arsenal’s Higuain bid, Kovacic to Liverpool deal close
Article continues below this ad
- Arsenal have launched a £30m bid for Napoli’s Gonzalo Higuaín. With Napoli missing out on Champions League Football for the upcoming season, The Gunners feel they can now successfully lure him to the Emirates. Higuaín, who was heavily linked to the Gunners 2 years ago, has scored 53 goals in 102 appearances in all competitions for SSC Napoli in 2 seasons.
- Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes has hinted that he’d be open to a move to Arsenal.The World Cup winner has been linked with a move to The Emirates and German magazine Kicker claim an offer has already been made.He said: “If I am to leave Schalke one day, I do not want to move clubs within the Bundesliga. Schalke is too close to my heart to do so.”But a move abroad at a certain time would be worth an experience. England would be my goal.”
This is excellent news for Arsenal, who have been shorthanded in the defense this season despite finishing 3, their best league position in 3 years, and have successfully defended their FA Cup. The gunners defence has additionally been weakened by injuries to key defenders throughout the season.
Article continues below this ad
- Other newspaper sources suggest that Arsenal are lining up a £85 million transfer spree this summer, bringing in Aturo Vidal, Petr Cech, Morgan Schneiderlin and Jackson Martinez. Vidal who may play his final game with Juventus in the Champions League final, would command a fee in the region of £28.5 million. His representative, who also represents Alexis Sanchez, held transfer talks with Arsenal after attending the FA Cup victory of the Gunners.
- Jackson Martinez has confirmed he will leave Porto in the summer, While Schneirderlin, a target been tracked by the Gunners craves Champions League football, the Gunners will face competition from arch rivals Manchester United for his signature. Petr Cech will be making the move across London to have first team football, as the Gunners want to improve their Goalkeepers. There are not many as good as Cech who has at least 5-6 good years left in him. Wenger is also keeping track on Geoffrey Kondogbia who has had a fine season with A.S. Monaco. He is also being scouted by Inter Milan and Manchester City.
- Arsenal Winger, Wellington Silva confirmed his desire to break into the Arsenal first team. He has been on loan as he waited to qualify for a European work permit but has a passport, he can play in England. He has however confirmed, there are other Premier League clubs interested in him. He told ESPN: “Of course, I want to be with Arsenal, but if I must be loaned again, I have no problem with that. There are two clubs in England that have already spoken with my agent, so I know I have those two options. I would like to play in England now, even if it isn’t for Arsenal, because I would like to learn more about the playing style there and get used to the league and the colder climate. I hope to show my potential.”
- Athletico Bilbao Club president Josu Urrutia has admitted the club would be interested in signing Nacho Monreal from Arsenal, claiming the full-back ‘would sportingly improve’ the team.Monreal has one-year left to run on his deal at the Emirates Stadium.
- Liverpool are keen on signing Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Adam Bogdan. The Hungarian is out of contract this summer, and the Reds are keen to bring the 27-year-old to Anfield when it does, as backup to first choice Simon Mignolet. Bogdan has been at Bolton since 2007, but has been second choice behind Andy Lonergan for much of the past season. He did, however, impress in the Trotters’ FA Cup fourth round tie at Anfield, though having helped his side to a goalless draw, he was then forced to miss the replay due to an ankle injury.
- With Brad Jones leaving the club, they need provide stiffer competition to Simon Mignolet. The Reds are not afraid of dipping into the Free Transfer market, having secured Manchester City’s James Milner a few days ago. The Reds seem set to sign Burnley’s Danny Inngs who is also interested in a move to Anfield. With Burnley set to receive only £500,000 if he were to move out of England, they could receive £5m from Liverpool.
- Liverpool are also interested in Southampton’s Nathaniel Clyne but have not improved on their £10m bid which the Saints have rejected last week. Clyne enjoyed a fine season as the highflying Saints reached their best ever Premier League points finish.
- Liverpool, who are looking to rehaul their misfiring strikers are looking at Manchester City’s Stefan Jovetic. The striker started just 9 games this season, knows his future lies elsewhere and he would suit the red’s purpose. Fiorentina are set to compete for his signature as they offer him a route back to Italy, where he made his name.
- Liverpool FC will look to beat Arsenal to Inter Milan midfielder Mateo Kovacic after reportedly being told he would cost just £18m. Inter want to hold onto their midfielder, but they are willing to listen to offers for the Croatian international from the interested parties.
- Chelsea have agreed a £20 M free with Shaktar Donestsk for Douglas Costa who has been linked with the Stamford Bridge outfit in recent months. He has scored 29 goals in 140 appearances for the Club. Chelsea are in need for a backup striker to Diego Costa after Didier Drogba announced his departure at the end of a premier league campaign.
Douglas Costa, in an interview said “Eventually the time comes when you get tired of playing always in the same league, I’m 24 years old and it is worth trying to tell people that I want to go.We have a wonderful coach in Mircea Lucescu, but I think it’s time for a change and I think Mourinho is the best in the world.”
- Chelsea are also linked to Radamel Falcao. The former Athletico Madrid and Porto Hitman had a torrid season at Old Trafford. While he wants to stay in England, he will need to take a huge pay cut on his mammoth £265,000 a week wages. Monaco have reportedly agreed to £5 M loan fee. The Columbian hopes to have his future resolved before the Copa America kicks off. The fact that both Falcao and Jose Mourinho have the same agent can make the negotiations much simpler.
- On outbound transfer news for the Blues, Sampdoria are said to be closing in on signing Chelsea Defender Kurt Zouma. The 20 year old completed his first full season with the Blues and made 26 appearances, including a starting in the central midfield in the Capital One Cup final. While Chelsea hope to hold him for the future, as John Terry will be turning 35 this season, Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero revealed he still believes he has a chance of bringing the young Frenchman to Italy: “I have already signed Niklas Moisander from Ajax and I am trying to get Kurt Zouma, because they are very physical players.”
- The Blues are said to be part of a posse of teams – including Real Madrid, Inter, Juventus and Arsenal – considering a move for the talented defensive midfielder. Frenchman Kondogbia, 22, joined Monaco in 2013 from Sevilla and has won has won three caps for his country. His impressive Champions League performance, especially against Arsenal have put him on the radar of European Giants. The player’s agent Jonathan Benbaron said: “The player appeals to a lot of clubs around Europe.“In addition to interest from Inter, there’s also Juventus, Manchester City and Real Madrid. A lot of teams have contacted us, but I can’t reveal how far along the various talks are. Will he leave this summer? Everything is possible in football.”
- Manchester United are looking at bringing Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema to Old Trafford. Scoring just 62 goals in the premier league was the second lowest tally for United in the premier league and with Falcao and Van Persie set to leave the club, United need proven quality strikers in their rank, to help them challenge for the title. While Benzema fits the bill, it is hard to see Real Madrid letting one of their main players leave, for anything but a large transfer sum. But as we have seen in the past, United are capable of pulling that off.
- Tottenham have given a boost in the news about Hugo Lloris. The French Goalkeeper, hailed as one of the best men between the sticks right now has been linked with moves to Paris Saint Germain and Manchester United as, stated by him many times, he wishes to play Champions League football.Nacer Chadli has been speaking to L’Equipe ahead of Belgium’s friendly with France, and he remains confident that Hugo Lloris will still be a Spurs player next season.’On the field, he has nothing to prove, Chadli told the French daily. ‘He is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. I think he will stay. The club has ambition and wants to finish in the top four.’
- Misfiring Striker Mario Balotelli may head back to Milan after a disastrous season at Anfield. The striker scored just 4 goals in all competitions. The reds will be hoping to recover the £16m fee paid. The move however depends on the whether or not, Sinisa Mihajilovic takes charge with the club as Inzaghi is expected to leave.
- Riccardo Saponara had a stunning 2015 at lowly Serie A side, Empoli. The attacking midfielder, who left AC Milan for Empoli may be heading back to Milan to play for Milan’s city rivals, Inter. However with co-ownership rampant in the Serie A, 30% of the transfer fee paid would be received by AC Milan.Inter face competition from AS Roma for his signature.
- PSG and Athletico Madrid are both in the hunt for Juventus striker, Carlos Tevez. The Argentine striker is out of contract next summer. PSG are weighing up a £9M bid for Tevez, who stated a desire to return to South America when his contract with the Old lady expires. However, the allure of Champions League football may make him rethink this decision.
- Mohamed Salah suffered a disastrous run of form when he joined Chelsea. However, he was sent to Fiorentina as part of a deal that saw Juan Caudrado head to Stamford Bridge where he endured a really fine season. The Blues look happy to cash in on Salah for £12 Million. Athletico Madrid are said to be interested but face competition from Wolfsburg as well.
- Athletico are also linked to Jordan Amavi, a product of the Nice Academy. Having made his debut 2 years ago, he has been watched heavily by Athletico.
Article continues below this ad
- Filipe Luis is wanting a return back to the Vincente Caledron, the stadium he left last year to join Chelsea. Lack of playing time have caused the Brazilian to have “itchy feet” having started only 9 premier league games in a title winning campaign.
Article continues below this ad
- QPR striker Charlie Austin had a bright season despite QPRs woeful season. The Englishman bagged 18 premier league goals in his maiden topflight season. With QPR relegated, he has become a transfer target for teams like Southampton and Newcastle United. He has however said he will make a decision on his future after the Intenrational Break.
Austin’s good form has earned him a call up to the England National Squad, where he looks set to make his debut.