Fans were expecting a slug fest with these two fighters inside the octagon and this fight did not disappoint at all.
The fight started with both the fighters throwing wild punches at each other. Amedovski became careless with his strikes and over committed to a right hand. Well, Phillips took his shot and landed a left which rocked Amedovski. It was the beginning of the end as Phillips knocked Amedovski out with another left hand a few seconds after.
— UFC (@ufc) September 28, 2019
John Phillips(22-9) trains in SBG Ireland under John Kavanagh who also trains the most popular UFC fighter, Conor McGregor. After knocking out his opponent in 17 seconds, Phillips also said “50G”- an expression by Conor McGregor after his win.
This was the fourth UFC appearance for Phillips, who after his first three, came out with an impressive win in the fourth.
Well, with an impressive knock out like that it would be pretty hard for the UFC to deny John Phillips a performance of the night bonus.
Among other notable results at the UFC Copenhagen was the Olympic hero Mark Madsen clinched a victory on his debut Danilo Belluardo. The night also saw a submission finish by Ovince Saint Preux eho beat Michal Oleksiejczuk in the second round. Jack Hermansson being knocked out by Jared Cannonier remained one of the biggest upsets of the night.
Results at the UFC Copenhagen-
- Jack Hermansson vs. Jared Cannonier — Cannonier def. Hermansson by TKO (punches) at 0:27 of Round One
- Danilo Belluardo vs. Mark Madsen — Madsen def. Belluardo by TKO (punches) at 1:12 of Round One
- Gunnar Nelson vs. Gilbert Burns — Burns def. Nelson by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
Ion Cutelaba vs. Khalil Rountree — Cutelaba def. Rountee by TKO (elbows and punches) at 2:35 of Round One
- Michal Oleksiejczuk vs. Ovince Saint Preux — Saint Preux def. Oleksiejczuk by submission (Von Flue choke) at 2:14 of Round Two
- Nicolas Dalby vs. Alex Oliveira — Dalby def. Oliveira by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
Alen Amedovski vs. John Phillips — Phillips def. Amedovski by TKO (punches) at 0:14 of Round One
- Alessio Di Chirico vs. Makhmud Muradov — Muradov def. Di Chirico by unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Ismail Naurdiev— Naurdiev def. Bahadurzada by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-25 x2)
- Giga Chikadze vs. Brandon Davis — Chikadze def. Davis by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Macy Chiasson vs. Lina Lansberg — Lansberg def. Chiasson by unanimous decision (29-27 x2, 29-28)
- Marc Diakiese vs. Lando Vannata — Diakiese def. Vannata by unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 30-26)
- Nohelin Hernandez vs. Jack Shore — Shore def. Hernandez by submission (rear naked choke) at 2:51 of Round Three