feature-image

Imago

feature-image

Imago

A chaotic street incident in Brisbane has landed an aspiring MMA fighter behind bars, marking another troubling legal episode in the combat sports world. Dominique Simon, an aspiring amateur MMA competitor nicknamed “Pink Panther,” was sentenced to jail after assaulting a bystander in Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

Simon had been drinking heavily and stepped out onto Brunswick St in front of oncoming traffic on December 13, with one of the cars hitting him and damaging the vehicle. A fight broke out when a good Samaritan asked if Simon was all right. The stranger pushed Simon, who punched the man to the ground before fleeing the scene.
The court heard there was a dispute over whether Simon struck the man twice, and the case was adjourned for a year while his defense lawyer obtained police body-camera footage and other evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dominique Simon was sentenced to 15 months in jail after the Fortitude Valley assault

The Brisbane Magistrates Court heard Simon had been depressed and suicidal following the loss of a child, something the court was told deeply affected him. Simon was on parole at the time for a similar brutal assault on a customer at the club where he was a security guard, though he claimed he believed the customer was about to attack him. Simon was due around then to fight on the Gold Coast with Eternal MMA, a promotion that gives Australian and New Zealand fighters the chance to compete against the best fighters in the region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Defense attorney Martin Longhurst told the court that Simon had been experiencing suicidal thoughts for a long time because of his upbringing.
He asked for a sentence of nine to 15 months’ jail. He was not out in the Valley looking for a fight. There’s some sympathy to be had for his mental stability on the night,’’ Mr Longhurst said. “He had some tumult in his life … he was considering suicide and made two previous suicide attempts. “Poor decision making and drinking have also been themes in his life.’’ Mr. Mack said he took into account the time Simon had spent in pre-sentence custody as well as his belated pleas and admissions to police.

The judge also considered the impact on the victim, who required stitches inside his mouth, and the fact parole had not acted as a deterrent. He jailed Simon for 15 months for the assault and six months for the wilful damage, with convictions recorded on both charges. Simon would be eligible for parole on April 21.

ADVERTISEMENT

News served to you like never before!

Prefer us on Google, To get latest news on feed

Google News feed preview
Google News feed preview

Simon’s sentencing adds to a growing list of legal troubles involving MMA fighters worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT

There has been an unfortunate trend of legal troubles involving MMA fighters in recent times. Former UFC heavyweight Jairzinho Rozenstruik, widely known to fans as “Bigi Boy,” was recently arrested in Pembroke Pines, Florida, on charges of third-degree felony false imprisonment and first-degree misdemeanor battery, according to Broward County arrest records. Rozenstruik, a Suriname native and established presence in the heavyweight division, and was subsequently placed on an immigration hold.

After being released by the UFC, Rozenstruik fought twice under the Dirty Boxing Championship banner, winning both bouts. Both cases highlight how quickly a fighter’s career trajectory can change once legal issues enter the picture.

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT