MMA News Round-Up: Conor McGregor’s Coach Confirms 2023 Timeline, PowerSlap Pay Revealed by UFC Fighter, Free Agent Luke Rockhold Bashes Dana White

Published 01/24/2023, 8:03 AM EST
LAS VEGAS, NV – AUGUST 23: UFC President Dana White attends a news conference for the bout between boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor at the KA Theatre at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino on August 23, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather and McGregor will meet in a super welterweight boxing match at T-Mobile Arena on August 26 in Las Vegas. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

The rapidly changing world of MMA has been through quite a few noted happenings in the last few hours. From shocking payments to extreme confidence, this edition of the MMA news roundup will expectedly take you aback. The Irish MMA star, Conor McGregor’s long-time coach, John Kavanagh has expressed extreme confidence about his return to the Octagon this year. Luke Rockhold, the noted former UFC fighter, fired shots at the UFC boss, Dana White, following his release from the company recently. Rockhold also stated that there was a possibility of a UFC return. Lastly, after receiving a lot of criticism from fighters and audiences, the fighter payments of Dana White’s Power Slap League are bound to shock combat sports fans.

John Kavanagh’s confidence proves that Conor McGregor will be back in action soon

Conor McGregor has been with his coach John Kavanagh since the very beginning of his MMA career. Kavanagh is one of the best people to provide the MMA world with a lot of information about McGregor’s sometimes unknown whereabouts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

This time, ‘Mystic Mac’s’ coach showcased his belief in McGregor. He revealed that he was ready to bet his residence on the fact that McGregor would make his Octagon return this year. Kavanagh appeared on Ariel Helwani’s noted podcast, ‘The MMA hour’ and was asked the million-dollar question once more about ‘The Notorious’ return to the Octagon this year.

Kavanagh stated, “I’d be willing to bet my house on it.” He stated that McGregor’s management agency, ‘Paradigm Sports’ had already started negotiations with him for his return to the Octagon. However, he was unable to provide any more details regarding this issue.

Luke Rockhold bashed UFC boss Dana White after announcing himself as a free agent

The former UFC Welterweight Champion, Luke Rockhold, criticized the UFC boss Dana White following his infamous slap-scuffle incident with his wife, Anne white. Rockhold appeared as an online guest on ‘The MMA hour’ lately. There, Helwani stated White had considered stepping down from his post after the infamous slap-scuffle. But, he held on to his position since his departure would have “hurt the company more than it would have hurt him,” Helwani revealed.

Rockhold implied White used his position to gain the upper hand in negotiations. He stated, “Negotiations are not fun with Dana. I’ve been doing a lot of them.”

Rockhold also pointed out Dana White’s mistreatment of athletes. He said, “Without Dana, the sports is better but the company might have to make amends with the fighters”. He was probably hinting at UFC’s reportedly low fighter payment issues.

The ridiculously low payments of Dana White’s Power Slap League combatants

It may be said that Dana White’s brand new promotion, ‘The Power Slap League’ didn’t have the start it would have wanted. The brutality of the game was bashed by many fighters and audiences just in the first episode of its broadcast. Now, ‘PSL’ has given one more reason to the fans to express discontent about it.

Watch this Story – Francis Ngannou released by Dana White after refusing more than Brock Lesnar’s $8M deal

Former UFC Middleweight, Eric Spicely, stated that he had also received an offer from the promotion. ‘Zebrinha’ also revealed that he would be receiving $2ooo as his show-up amount and another $2000 if he won his debut slap-fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Spicely revealed this information on his Twitter, which was also shared by the noted MMA analyst, Luke Thomas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Some more MMA news

  • Former UFC Lightweight Champion Charles Oliveira is aiming for a rematch against his rival and current UFC Lightweight king, Islam Makhachev by the end of this year.
  • The enthralling UFC 283 main event resulted in the broken noses of both combatants. Glover Teixeira and current UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jamahall Hill are both out of action.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Souvik Roy

470 articles

Souvik Roy is currently a UFC writer at EssentiallySports. An avid UFC follower, Souvik combined his love for the sport and his passion for words to turn his interest into his Livelihood. A Diploma holder in Electrical Engineering, Souvik has worked as a Freelance Link Builder and Content Writer previously and wrote for various clients and businesses.

Edited By: Rohini Kottu

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

EDITORS' PICK