
via Imago
Image via Imago

via Imago
Image via Imago
Few things generate more excitement in combat sports than a rubber match, and Conor McGregor’s long-standing rivalry with Nate Diaz has kept fans craving exactly that. After ‘The Stockton Slugger’ stunned Conor McGregor in their first fight at UFC 196 in March 2016, ‘The Notorious’ successfully redeemed himself in their rematch at UFC 202 in August of the same year. Since then, there’s been an ever-loud call for a trilogy fight to settle the debate.
Although years have passed, and both Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz haven’t fought anyone in the last few years, the demand for the rubber match remains as loud as ever. In the meantime, though, the 40-year-old has shared an update on their long-awaited fight. And the good news is that the bout could unfold atop the biggest UFC card in recent years—the White House Card, announced by President Donald Trump. So, what’s the update?
“Yeah, for sure [at the White House card]. Time will tell, guys,” Diaz told Clocked n’ Loaded during a recent interview when asked whether he is interested in making that fight happen. The event is scheduled to take place next July on the White House lawn, with Dana White confirming that the show is officially happening. McGregor has also signaled his interest in competing, revealing that he has re-entered the UFC’s anti-doping program to prepare for the occasion.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
While McGregor hasn’t fought since his UFC 264 defeat at the hands of Dustin Poirier via first-round TKO, Diaz last saw action in the Octagon at UFC 279, where he won via fourth-round submission against Tony Ferguson. Diaz has been looking forward to facing McGregor for a while, and this isn’t even the first time he has openly spoken about his intentions. During an appearance on Out Cold in July, Diaz claimed there’s no one else to fight.

via Imago
LAS VEGAS, NV – SEPTEMBER 7: Nate Diaz speaks to the media during the UFC 279 media day on September 7, 2022, at the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, NV. Photo by Amy Kaplan/Icon Sportswire MMA: SEP 07 UFC 279 Icon220907355279
“If I could fight anybody right now, I would fight – with all due respect to them – if Conor McGregor came back. S—, Conor McGregor,” Diaz said during the conversation. “There ain’t nobody else to fight, really, right now. I would like for him to come back and impress everybody first… Everybody’s hating on him. I’d like to beat up somebody on top of the world, and I think he’s got the capability to do that.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
Regardless, this former UFC champion feels a trilogy between McGregor and Diaz would be the best fight of UFC White House.
Former UFC middleweight champion calls for Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz III at White House
Michael Bisping believes there’s only one fight that could truly headline a historic UFC card at the White House—the long-awaited trilogy between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. While some suggest Jon Jones vs. Tom Aspinall or Colby Covington vs. Jorge Masvidal, Bisping insists the return of ‘The Stockton Slugger’ would steal the show.
ADVERTISEMENT
Article continues below this ad
“Diaz is a bit of a bada—,” Bisping said on YouTube. “The way that he carries himself, the way that he keeps it real.” He acknowledged that Diaz fighting Max Holloway could be a great matchup too, but nothing can beat the trilogy. “Wouldn’t you rather see Nate Diaz versus Conor McGregor at the White House? That’s the fight that I’d rather see if I’m honest,” he admitted.
Even though years have passed since their two bouts, the possibility of a trilogy remains high, with experts advocating for it. But as Diaz said, only time will tell whether the fight actually happens. Would you like to see the two men finally settle the debate?
Top Stories
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT