‘Not Going to Allow Anyone to Rush Me’- Jon Jones Gives an Update on Heavyweight Progress

Published 06/25/2021, 2:11 AM EDT
LAS VEGAS, NV – JULY 06: Jon Jones waits in his corner prior to his UFC light heavyweight championship fight during the UFC 239 event at T-Mobile Arena on July 6, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC)


Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones took to social media and went over fan questions about his past and future. ‘Bones’ occasionally takes out the time to answer questions laid out by fans to provide clarity on his position. Now more than ever, there are a lot of unanswered questions about Jon Jones’ future in the UFC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

He’s been involved in a rather public spat with the UFC brass over his contact and pay that has repeatedly made headlines. Furthermore, Jones also parted ways with his long-time management company, First Round Management, in favor of the veteran pro boxing promoter, Richard Schaefer. Since signing with Schaefer, fans haven’t heard much from Jones, however, he’s finally provided clarity on his possible UFC return.

Jon Jones: On his own terms

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The consensus GOAT has been slated to return to the UFC’s octagon as a heavyweight for a long time now. He’s bulked up in preparation for his heavyweight debut, however, fans still haven’t received news of a possible booking. Jones finally revealed that he would make a return, but at his own pace.

At the very least, fans now know that Jon Jones hasn’t abandoned the idea of a heavyweight move-up despite clashes with the UFC.

Once Jones made his stance clear, fans began asking questions about a recent interview provided by one of Jones’ former opponents. Earlier in the week, Anthony Smith grabbed headlines when he said that Jones had failed every drug test when they fought back at UFC 235. Given Jones’ checkered past, Smith’s comments sent fight fans into a frenzy.

However, Jon Jones dusted off Anthony Smith’s claims and said that ‘Lionheart’ was simply making excuses. This isn’t the first time Jones’ opponents have levied serious accusations against him, and it probably won’t be the last.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Jon Jones’ recent fan Q&A session has provided some much-needed clarity about his future as a heavyweight in the UFC. At one point, fans speculated that his contention with the organization may lead to both parties going their separate ways. However, it appears that there’s a clear willingness to make it work in the long run.

Watch this story: 5 Interesting Facts You Need to Know About Jairzinho Rozenstruik 

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Darryl Pinto

1792 articles

Darryl Pinto is a senior MMA writer at EssentiallySports. He is currently pursuing his graduate degree in Mass Media (with a specialization in Journalism) out of Xavier’s College and has a year's experience in his current role. Darryl specializes in predictions, reporting, and covering UFC events live.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

essentiallysports's Stories