‘Same Thing With Khabib’- Dustin Poirier Compares His Loss Against Charles Oliveira With Khabib Nurmagomedov

Published 12/14/2021, 6:38 AM EST
ATLANTA, GA – APRIL 13: Dustin Poirier is interviewed after defeating Max Holloway in their interim lightweight championship bout during the UFC 236 event at State Farm Arena on April 13, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)


Dustin Poirier failed yet again in his quest to conquer the lightweight division. Previously, ‘The Diamond’ faced Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC title at UFC 242. Unfortunately, the Louisiana native lost the fight as he submitted after ‘The Eagle’ caught him in a Rear-Naked Choke. The 32-year-old then competed in three more UFC fights, winning them all to earn his second title shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

This time ‘The Diamond‘ locked horns with Charles Oliveira in the main event of UFC 269. After an amazing first round, ‘Do Bronx’ climbed Poirier’s back in the third and caught him in the same hold as Nurmagomedov.

In the post-fight press conference, Poirier reflected on his loss and said, “I mean, I knew he was going to start trying to creep around with the body lock. I wanted to keep a wizard, but he got around me. I thought at first like he was really high and I thought he was going to slide off and then he kinda sunk in and really got his position.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

“And he started a kind of neck crank. I pulled his hands down once and it’s just his forearm slipped under my chin and once he tucked it. There wasn’t a hand for me to grab to really pull it down. It’s just you know the same thing with Khabib.”

DIVE DEEPER

‘It’s a Personal Fight That Needs To Happen’- Colby Covington Says He Is Open for Business and Has Spoken to UFC

about 1 month ago

“It’s such a small room for error in these kinds of fights. I felt good, you know, after the first round sitting on my stool going into the second drinking water and thinking, I am going to be the world champion tonight. It’s such a crazy thing what we do.”

Dustin Poirier will not think about what is next for him right now

In an interview, the 28-7 fighter had claimed he won’t fight three fights a year if he becomes the UFC champion. However, after his loss, the Louisiana native sounded uncertain about his future in the sport in the post-fight interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

He said, “I think there’s fights at 55 and welterweight for me. I just don’t even want to think about what’s next for me. It’s been a crazy year for me, three big fights…”

A move to welterweight could unlock a new dimension, as ‘The Diamond’ would not be draining himself for a weight cut. However, he may look to remain at lightweight and work his way back to the title fight. Whatever he decides, it’s clear that we won’t know of it until 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

WATCH THIS STORY: 5 Potential Opponents For Charles Oliveira After His Spectacular Victory Over Dustin Poirier at UFC 269

What do you make out of Poirier’s words? Do you think he will retire after this? Let us know in the comments below.

Enjoyed reading this article? Download our exclusive app to get 24x7 coverage, latest memes and social media banter. Click here to download.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Afnan Chougle

454 articles

Afnan Chougle is a UFC author at EssentiallySports. Besides writing, this Media graduate is an integral part of the digital web stories team for combat sports. Before joining EssentiallySports, Afnan gained valuable experience as an intern at Jiostudios Production House.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT