‘The Whale Doesn’t React to Bait’ – Conor McGregor Shuts Down Everyone Calling Him Out

Published 01/17/2021, 4:17 PM EST
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – OCTOBER 05: Conor McGregor poses during a ceremonial weigh-in for UFC 229 at T-Mobile Arena on October 05, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. McGregor will challenge UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov for his title at UFC 229 on October 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)


Despite being relatively inactive, Conor McGregor has no shortages of call-outs. Moreover, they are not just limited to the UFC but from the boxing ring as well. However, the former UFC double champ has been paying no heed recently to those. He feels that the point where he stands in his life it isn’t necessary for him to go out of his way and respond to all such call-outs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

In an interview with ESPN, mentioning no one directly, McGregor sent a message loud and clear for everyone who is attempting to lure him in for a payday. Earlier in his career, McGregor has been at that stage where he was the one issuing such call-outs. At age 32, the Irishman feels he now sits on the other side of the table.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

I’m certainly at a different point in my life. I’m the whale, Ariel. The whale doesn’t react to the bait. The fish reacts to the bait. So, yeah, that’s it. I’m in a different point in my life. I appreciate good competition, I appreciate respect, and I appreciate people that are gonna bring it. I’m at where I am and that’s it,” McGregor said.

Jake Paul has been campaigning aggressively for a fight with Conor McGregor

As of late, the only one making news with his attempts at roping in Conor McGregor for a boxing contest is Jake Paul. Ever since he knocked out former NBA player Nate Robinson on the undercard of Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr, he has been very clear about what he wants, i.e., a fight with Conor McGregor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The YouTuber even offered McGregor $50 million for a boxing fight in a profanity-laced video, which he uploaded on his social media. After failing to get the attention of ‘The Notorious One’, he went after McGregor’s BJJ coach Dillon Danis. Since then, the back-and-forth between Paul and Danis has been active on social media.

NEW YORK, NY – JULY 13: Conor McGregor speaks during the Floyd Mayweather Jr. v Conor McGregor World Press Tour event at Barclays Center on July 13, 2017 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. (Photo by Mike Lawrie/Getty Images)

Currently, McGregor has all his attention concentrated on his rematch with Dustin Poirier at UFC 257. He hasn’t hidden his desire for stepping into the boxing ring once again. However, it would be against former world champion Manny Pacquiao. Looking at McGregor’s current outlook on his fighting career, the chances of a celebrity boxing fight seem minuscule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

DIVE DEEPER

‘Khabib Fled The Cage’- Conor McGregor Says Khabib Nurmagomedov Was Never Crowned As UFC Champion

5 months ago

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

Rishabh Singh

655 articles

Rishabh Singh is an MMA author at EssentiallySports since 2020. An engineer in the making, his love for combat sports began by watching Anderson Silva light people up inside the Octagon. When he isn't busy in his technical pursuits, he is an avid reader with a love for sports in general and sporting history in particular.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT