“I’m Actually Very F***ing Pissed off” – Dana White Reacts to Gustavo Lopez’s Contract Issues

By
June 13, 2020 3:00 pm

The UFC brought in Gustavo Lopez as a replacement for Ray Borg for this weekend’s event. However, following the announcement, there seemed signs of a dispute with Combate Americas. Lopez fought in the organization before coming to the UFC. Amidst all this, Dana White says that he was in the dark regarding the whole situation.

(Picture credits: MMAJunkie.com)

While talking to the media after the weigh-ins, a reporter asked Dana if he had talked to Combate Americas CEO Campbell McLaren. Following UFC’s announcement of bringing in Lopez as a replacement, Campbell tweeted that it was a bad move. Lopez’s contract with Combate had already expired. However, the organization held the right to match any new contract that the fighter received.

Veteran MMA manager and CEO of Dominance MMA, Ali Abdelaziz, criticized Combate for taking away a young man’s dream. He also asked fighters not to sign a contract with the promotion.

Dana White had no clue about the situation with Gustavo Lopez’s contract

Dana White said that he didn’t know anything about the entire fiasco. He seemed frustrated as he was kept in the dark.

I don’t know anything about it. Why the f–k would nobody tell me that one? I’m actually very f—ing pissed off that I didn’t know about it,” Dana said.

It was later revealed that the person at fault was Lopez’s manager, Daniel Rubenstein. He confessed his mistake on Twitter. Furthermore, he asked Combate for the release of the Bantamweight so that he can fight this weekend.

CEO McLaren later agreed to Rubenstein’s demands. He announced on Twitter that he was going ahead and allowing Lopez to fight this weekend.

After the release, Abdelaziz took back his words. He also commended Campbell on the release of Gustavo Lopez.

Lopez has been with Combate for almost five years. He was the Bantamweight champ in the division apart from riding a three-fight win streak. He will face Merab Dvalishvili this weekend on UFC on ESPN 10 at the UFC Apex center in Las Vegas. Dvalishvili originally planned on fighting Ray Borg. However, the latter was removed from the card due to personal reasons.

He posted a picture of his son on Twitter with the caption, “Family first, see you soon.” Borg’s son has been going through complications since his birth.

Continue the conversation on the app, join other MMA fans on MMA Fans App

Disqus Comments Loading...