Britain’s Andy Murray has been out of action for a while due to his troublesome hip injury. Fortunately, he is expected to recover in time for Wimbledon, according to mother, Judy.
The former world number 1 has been missing since last year’s Wimbledon and had undergone hip surgery in January.
Murray is targeting the grass-court season for his return to action, as he continues his rehabilitation. He was initially supposed to be ready to play at a Loughborough Challenger event, which starts on May 21. But circumstances have spoken a different story.
Reports suggest that the two-time Wimbledon champion was close to missing his home Grand Slam. The speculation came on the back of news that he was scaling back his training programme.
However, Judy Murray firmly believes that her son can still be ready for the start of Wimbledon on July 2.
“His goal was always to be ready for the grass-court season and, fingers crossed, that will happen,” she said.
“I’m sure when he’s got some news he will share that.”
Murray has committed himself to the Rosmalen grass-court tournament in the Netherlands that starts on June 11. He is also scheduled to play the prestigious Wimbledon warm-up event at Queen’s Club in west London.
Judy also dismissed concerns that the 30-year old’s career may be over, she said: “I don’t think so; he’s still got a lot of things he wants to achieve in the game.
“The strength and depth of men’s tennis is so great that I don’t think anybody would want to come back into that environment unless you are 100 per cent.
However, many experts believe that the Scotsman will have to drastically alter his game. This means that he will probably have to sacrifice his usual aggressive style of play and even cut down on the long rallies.