A major developing story now reveals that former two-division champion Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete was shot dead following what has been reported so far as a shooting incident outside his residence in Mdantsane in Eastern Cape, South Africa. He was 38.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
“The incident occurred at about 6:30 pm, with the 38-year-old Tete declared dead at the scene. A female victim has been rushed to hospital after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds,” read an update from The Daily Dispatch.
According to the East London (SA)-based, English-language daily, the information was confirmed by the former champion’s manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene. Reportedly, the incident occurred after the South African boxer arrived at his home at NU17 along with a female companion.
While waiting for the gate to open, two armed individuals, whose identities remain unknown, wearing balaclavas, stepped out of a vehicle and opened fire at Tete and the woman who with him, reported to be around 27 years old.
Tete tried to escape the gunfire by driving his vehicle into the yard. However, he did not survive, passing away from his wounds.
“The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. She remains hospitalized. At this stage, no arrests have been made, and the motive for the attack remains unknown. The suspects fled the scene and are yet to be apprehended,” a statement from Eastern Cape Police read.
The former champion’s manager told The Daily Dispatch that Tete’s loved ones have been contacted and told about the incident.

Imago
March 12, 2016 – Liverpool, England, United Kingdom – ZOLANI TETE connects a punch to JOSE SANTOS GONZALEZ during IBF International Bantamweight Title bout at Liverpool Echo Arena. Copyright: xAndrewxCouldridgex
Speaking about it, Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana, the police spokesperson, revealed that the case is now being actively investigated.
The news of Tete’s death has left the local community in mourning.
Paying tribute Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane said, “I am devastated by the shocking and senseless killing of our champion, Zolani Tete. Tonight, the Eastern Cape lost one of its finest sporting sons.
“Zolani emerged from the streets and boxing gyms of Mdantsane and fought his way to the summit of world boxing. Wherever he fought, he carried with him the pride of Mdantsane, the Eastern Cape, and South Africa.”
As the news of Tete’s passing started circulating in the boxing world, tributes began pouring in from all corner. The WBA in their message wrote, “The World Boxing Association mourns the tragic passing of former two-division world champion Zolani Tete. Our deepest condolences go out to his family, friends, team, and the entire boxing community in South Africa and around the world. Rest in peace.”
Similar messages have come from the WBC and DAZN as well.
Zolani Tete: From a boxing city to the world stage
Born and raised in Mdantsane, Zolani Tete was a proud representative of a city that takes particular pride in its boxing history. While South Africa has produced several world champions of repute throughout the sport’s history, Mdantsane has been home to a string of world champions.
The names include Vuyani Bungu (former IBF junior featherweight), Welcome Ncita (former IBF super bantamweight), Nkosinathi Joye (former IBF minimum weight), Ali Funeka (former IBO welterweight), and Zolani Marali (former IBO super featherweight). Zolani Tete was a proud name in that crowd.
Son of a pastor, Tete grew up the hard way till he found a way out through boxing. Inspired by Bungu and Ncita, he laced up at age 8. Later, under Bungu’s guidance, Tete embarked on an amateur journey that saw him secure wins at national games before switching over to professional ranks.
Making his debut on May 27, 2006, Tete was on a ten-fight winning streak that saw him become WBF (World Boxing Federation) flyweight champion and later secure the WBO Africa flyweight title. Tete’s first attempt at a major world championship, however, failed when fellow South African Moroti Mthalane knocked him out on September 1, 2010, for the IBF flyweight title.
The next three years saw Tete suffer two losses. However, he bounced back from those setbacks by winning his first world title, the vacant IBF junior bantamweight championship, on July 14, 2014, when he defeated Japan’s Teiru Kinoshita.
Continuing on yet another winning streak, after a string of regional titles including the WBO Africa junior-bantamweight title, Tete moved up a division to become IBF International bantamweight champion when he knocked out Victor Ruiz on June 4, 2016.
A year later, after a dominant performance against Arthur Villanueva in Leicester, England, that made him an interim champion, the WBO elevated him to full title holder. It was during his first title defense, against Siboniso Gonya, in Ireland, on November 18, 2017, that Tete set a new Guinness World record when he knocked out Gonya in eleven seconds into the opening round—the fastest ever recorded in a world title fight.
Two years later, however, Tete lost his title to John Riel Casimero via third-round knockout. It took another two years before Tete could make a return. After knocking out Iddi Kayumba in his comeback fight on July 2, 2022, he stopped Jason Cunningham at Wembley for the IBF & vacant WBO International super-bantamweight titles.
However, the decision was changed to a no-contest after reports indicated Tete failed doping tests. As a consequence, he was banned from boxing for four years, which lasted until July 29 this year.
According to Tete’s manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, the former champion was scheduled for a comeback fight on November 29 this year.

