
Imago
Credits: Imago

Imago
Credits: Imago

Imago
Credits: Imago

Imago
Credits: Imago
With Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions putting a short-term freeze – a temporary restraining order (TRO) – in place and the court granting it, the fate of Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Jaron “Boots” Ennis now appears more distant than ever. Instead of the fighters facing off in the ring, fans are watching a courtroom saga unfold. Does Ortiz vs. Ennis still stand a real chance? The standoff has once again put Ortiz’s manager in the spotlight.
Watch What’s Trending Now!
“I’ve spoken to Vergil,” Robert Garcia, who trains Ortiz, told Marcos Villegas. The Fight Hub TV founder asked about the fighter’s emotional state and how he has been handling the legal case. “He (Vergil) lets his manager handle everything,” Garcia said.
Amid the legal uncertainty, Ortiz’s camp is trying to stay focused on the fight itself. As an example, Garcia noted that another star boxer from his stable, Jesse “Bam” Rodriguez, also prefers that he handle business matters. His comment caught Villegas’ attention and reflected the sense shared by many viewers that the fight had been close to happening.
“I think it is, man,” Garcia responded. “From what I feel, I think it is, and sometimes managers and fighters have to step up and say what they need to say to make fights happen.” Garcia emphasized that both Vergil Ortiz‘s manager, Rick Mirigian, and Oscar De La Hoya are highly capable at what they do.
It would make sense for them to work together, along with DAZN, which has been backing the Boots-Ortiz fight, to push forward and do what is necessary to finalize the bout.

Imago
August 10, 2024, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: VERGIL ORTIZ JR. 21-0-21 KOs of Grand Prairie, TX defeats SERHII BOHACHUK 224-1-23 KOs of Vinitza, Ukraine by a majority decision 113-113, 114-112, 114-112 and become the new WBC interim super welterweight champion during Golden Boy Promotion at the Michelob ULTRA Arena in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas. Las Vegas USA – ZUMAo117 20240810_zsp_o117_061 Copyright: xMikaelxOnax
From his comments, many observers could see Garcia taking a diplomatic approach.
Jaron Ennis vs. Vergil Ortiz Jr.: The biggest fight isn’t in the ring – it’s in the courtroom
At the same time, his perspective is difficult to dismiss. Garcia recently shook hands with Boots’ father and trainer, Bozy Ennis, signaling that, like many fans, they are eager to see the fight materialize. While Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing remains firm in its position, Ortiz Jr.’s future now rests largely with his manager and promoter.
As things stand, Golden Boy has obtained a temporary restraining order. It prevents Ortiz from signing fights with other promoters while the court decides whether his contract is still valid. Ortiz argues that his deal should be considered terminated after Golden Boy’s key broadcasting agreement with DAZN expired. He says that opens the door for him to pursue better opportunities.
His team claims Golden Boy breached their contract and blocked him from signing lucrative offers, including a multi-fight deal with Matchroom Boxing. However, Oscar De La Hoya and his team insist Ortiz is still under contract and that allowing him to leave would harm their business.
A judge will soon decide whether to lift the restraining order, a ruling that will determine whether the Ortiz–Ennis fight can move forward.
The latest update indicates that Ortiz’s legal team has submitted a 22-page argument. It explains why the restraining order should be canceled. They are seeking removal of the order, an end to the relationship with Golden Boy, and the freedom for Ortiz to sign with other promoters.

