“Funny Things are Dying” – Sebastian Vettel Bashes Historic Monaco GP F1 Changes

Published 09/24/2021, 8:14 AM EDT
BUDAPEST, HUNGARY – AUGUST 01: Second placed Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Aston Martin F1 Team looks on in parc ferme during the F1 Grand Prix of Hungary at Hungaroring on August 01, 2021 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Mario Renzi – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images)


Formula One recently announced that it will make changes to the Monaco Grand Prix weekend. Monaco weekend is unique on the calendar as Friday is off and practice sessions are held on Thursdays. This news made a lot of fans upset as well as Aston Martin driver Sebastian Vettel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Vettel mentioned that although it will not make a huge difference, it was nice to have a day off. These are some of the things that made the race weekend at Principality unique.

WATCH STORY: From Serena Williams to Chris Hemsworth: Celebrities Lured by the Glitz and Glamor of Monaco

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

I don’t understand why the format has changed: Sebastian Vettel

As reported by Motorsport.it, the Aston Martin driver stated that the sport is slowly killing all the fun things. Although he stated he was kidding, but mentioned that he does not get the change in the format.

“I don’t think it will make a big difference. It was fun to have a day off, not to party but to have a little more time to prepare. It was something special that identified Monaco,” said Vettel.

Formula One F1 – Dutch Grand Prix – Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort, Netherlands – September 2, 2021 Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel during the FIA Press Conference Pool via REUTERS/Kenzo Tribouillard

Since… funny things are dying, that’s probably why it’s been shortened to three days. It was fun, so let’s not do it anymore… I’m kidding, but I don’t understand why the format has changed. I think it was one of the characteristics of Monaco,” stated the 4-time world champion.

DIVE DEEPER

Why did F1 Ban Refueling?

10 months ago

The Aston Martin driver hopes to take the team to championship contention

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Sebastian Vettel signed a new contract with Aston Martin Racing to race for them in the 2022 season. Before the start of the season, the team announced their ambitions to fight for the championship in 4-5 years. Vettel hopes he will still be there when that happens.

Formula One F1 – Italian Grand Prix – Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy – September 10, 2021 Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel during practice REUTERS/Jennifer Lorenzini

“Yes, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. But I think the right answer is that you never know exactly how things are going to go. The vision and commitment of the team are impressive, so it may take less time, but at the moment, what gives me confidence is to see where the team is going and the determination they have in wanting to do it. Only time will give us the answer.” said Vettel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

It will be sad to lose an important tradition at one of the unique circuits on the calendar. But F1 mentioned that they made this change so that the season could finish sooner.

Do you agree with F1’s decision? Let us know.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Devang Chauhan

461 articles

Devang Chauhan is an F1 author at EssentiallySports. Having completed his graduation in Journalism and Mass Communication, he has a keen eye for writing engaging and detailed articles on F1. Previously a writer for Sports Social's 'Chase Your Sport' Magazine, Devang has been an ardent follower of the sport for over a decade and has attended two editions of the Indian Grand Prix.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT