Mercedes Slam Red Bull After Their Apparent Allegations to Dismantle Lewis Hamilton

Published 07/30/2021, 5:18 AM EDT
Formula One F1 – British Grand Prix – Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, Britain – July 15, 2021 Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton during a promotional photoshoot for the unveiling of the new 2022 F1 car REUTERS/Andrew Couldridge


The rivalry between Red Bull and Mercedes has taken another turn. The Austrian team took legal action and filed an official review regarding the Verstappen-Hamilton lap one incident at the British Grand Prix. Red Bull had claimed that they have found fresh evidence and want a harsher penalty for Lewis Hamilton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

But after hearing their plea on Thursday, FIA has rejected Red Bull‘s request to review the penalty. Now, Mercedes has put an official statement regarding the review. The German team have condoned the behavior of their rivals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

WATCH STORY: Lewis Hamilton: Ranking His F1 World Titles From 2008 to 2020

The team welcomes the decision of the stewards to reject the review: Mercedes

Mercedes, in their official statement, paid their gratitudes to the FIA for rejecting Red Bull’s right to review. They further criticized their rivals for tarnishing the image of their driver, Lewis Hamilton.

“The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team welcomes the decision of the stewards to reject Red Bull Racing’s right of review,” the statement read.

Formula One F1 – Bahrain Grand Prix – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain – March 26, 2021, Mercedes’ Team Principal Toto Wolff with Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner during the press conference FIA/Handout via REUTERS

In addition to bringing this incident to a close, we hope that this decision will mark the end of a concerted attempt by the senior management of Red Bull Racing to tarnish the good name and sporting integrity of Lewis Hamilton, including in the documents submitted for their unsuccessful right of review.

We now look forward to going racing this weekend and to continuing our hard-fought competition for the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship.” said Mercedes.

DIVE DEEPER

Why Do Mercedes Dominate F1?

9 months ago

About these allegations

As reported by Auto Und motorsport, FIA concluded Red Bull did not have significant evidence against Mercedes and Hamilton. They further stated that the Austrian team created the evidence rather than find new evidence.

Formula One F1 – British Grand Prix – Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, Britain – July 18, 2021, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen leads at the start of the race ahead of Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton REUTERS/Peter Cziborra

The stewards note with some concern certain allegations raised in correspondence relating to the case. The allegations may or may not have been relevant had the request for a review of the case been granted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The stewards might have made these allegations commented on every further decision. However, since the application was rejected, no further explanations are required. “ said the FIA.

Everyone is now looking forward to the response of the Red Bull team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Is the Red Bull-Mercedes saga over? Let us know.

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Devang Chauhan

349 articles

Devang Chauhan is an F1 author at EssentiallySports. Having completed his graduation in Journalism and Mass Communication, he has a keen eye for writing engaging and detailed articles on F1. Previously a writer for Sport Social's 'Chase Your Sport' Magazine, Devang has been a ardent follower of the sport for over a decade and has attended two editions of the Indian Grand Prix.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT