Reports: Colton Herta Set for an F1 Drive in 2022 or 2023 With Andretti’s Sauber Takeover

Published 10/09/2021, 3:33 AM EDT
Formula One F1 – Austrian Grand Prix – Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Styria, Austria – July 2, 2021 Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen during practice REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger


It has been speculated for a while now that Andretti Autosport will venture into Formula One. Michael Andretti, son of world champion Mario, has reportedly set his sights on the Alfa Romeo Sauber team. The move could prove to be a blessing, as F1 is trying to attract more audiences from the USA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

If Andretti takes over the Sauber outfit, we could see the young Colton Herta at the pinnacle of motorsport. Since Valtteri Bottas’ partner for 2022 is undecided, we could see Herta making the jump from IndyCar to F1. And now the initial interest of Andretti in Sauber now looks like it would turn into an investment.

WATCH STORY: From Drunk Gala to Dry Responses: Kimi Raikkonen’s Funniest Moments

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Entering Formula 1 has been of interest to Michael: Andretti official

As reported by the Race, the American might acquire 80% of the Swiss-based outfit in 2023. With backing from Herta’s main sponsor Gainbridge, Andretti Autosport may take over Sauber.

Despite the reports of an investment in the Swiss team, the officials on the American team have denied entering F1 as of now. However, Andretti had his own views on the matter per an official.

Formula One F1 – Belgian Grand Prix – Spa-Francorchamps, Spa, Belgium – August 27, 2021, Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen during practice REUTERS/Johanna Geron

“Entering Formula 1 has been of interest to Michael and the team for some time and we’ve explored many options over the years, but at this time, we have nothing new to report. Our passion is racing, in all forms, and we never say never.

Should a proper opportunity come along to take the Andretti name back to F1, we’d jump at it.” said Andretti Autosport.

DIVE DEEPER

Which Teams Use Ferrari Engines in F1?

10 months ago

I can say nothing because it’s not in my parameter: Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 boss

Alfa Romeo CEO and Team Principal Fred Vasseur mentioned he cannot say anything about Andretti taking over Sauber in 2023. He stated that the acquisition of the team is a question for shareholders and not for him.

Formula One F1 – Spanish Grand Prix – Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain – May 7, 2021, Alfa Romeo Racing Team Principal Frederic Vasseur talks in the Team Principals Press Conference FIA/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES

“I can say nothing because honestly, it’s not in my parameter. I’m the CEO and team principal and these kinds of discussions are not with me, it would be with the shareholders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

We have so many rumors and so on that, you have to ask the question to the shareholders of the company.” said Vasseur.

It would be nice to see the name Andretti return to Formula One. The move would prove to be an enormous boost for F1 in attracting eyeballs in the United States, with Herta at the wheel of the car.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Would you like to see Andretti Autosport in F1? Let us know.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Devang Chauhan

452 articles

Devang Chauhan is an F1 author at EssentiallySports. Having completed his graduation in Journalism and Mass Communication, he has a keen eye for writing engaging and detailed articles on F1. Previously a writer for Sports Social's 'Chase Your Sport' Magazine, Devang has been an ardent follower of the sport for over a decade and has attended two editions of the Indian Grand Prix.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT