Williams CEO Reveals His Special Dinner With Kimi Raikkonen at Zandvoort

Published 09/21/2021, 2:39 AM EDT
SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE – Kimi Raikkonen speaks on stage at the Richard Mille – RM 50-04 Kimi Raikkonen in Singapore. (Photo by Yong Teck Lim/Getty Images for Richard Mille)


Kimi Raikkonen has had a rather quiet couple of race weekends at Zandvoort and Monza after testing positive for coronavirus on Friday over the Dutch Grand Prix. The Finn, abiding by the quarantining rules, had to back off from both the Grand Prix, as Alfa Romeo called in Robert Kubica as the interim driver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Interestingly, hours before testing positive, Raikkonen had gone out to dinner with his F1 colleague and current Williams CEO, Jost Capito.

As speculations grew around the dinner possibly being the reason behind Raikkonen’s brief absence from F1, the German intervened to reveal why he went out to dinner with the Ferrari world champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

What did the Williams boss say?

As reported by Motorsport, Capito opened up that he was the reason Raikkonen managed to make his debut in Formula 1 in 2001. Hence, the duo, since then, has been on good terms.

Kimi Raikkonen of Finland and Ferrari looks on in the Drivers Press Conference during previews ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Belgium at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Spa, Belgium. (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

What’s more, apparently Raikkonen and Capito had been planning this dinner for years and finally got the chance to accomplish it in North Holland. Despite the Iceman contracting COVID-19, Capito alleged that they even adhered to social distancing norms.

I brought Kimi to Formula 1 in 2001 and we’ve had a very good relationship since then,” he reportedly told Sky. “We’ve been saying for years that we should meet for dinner. And we finally did it. We adhered to social distancing even at the table.” (Translated via Google Translate)

Capito’s reaction to Kimi Raikkonen testing positive

The Williams CEO revealed that he never went into quarantine after hearing about the Raikkonen news. Instead, he chose to head home despite being in the middle of the race weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

After Kimi tested positive, I wasn’t in quarantine as people were saying and I didn’t have to self-isolate,” he said. “But I said, ‘I’m going home,’ so as not to pose any risk to the team.

Formula One F1 – Monaco Grand Prix – Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco – May 20, 2021 Williams Racing Chief Executive Officer Jost Capito in the FIA Press Conference FIA/Handout via REUTERS

I followed the race from my own office, where I had radio connection and access to all data. It was just as effective as on the racetrack. Anyway, all tests were negative and everything was fine. I was happy to be able to return to Monza,” Capito added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Overall, the soon-to-retire Raikkonen’s two-week quarantine is over and will most likely return to Sochi this weekend. With the days in F1 numbered, can the Finn manage to secure a strong end to his 21-year racing career? Well, we’ll know in time.

Watch Story: Top 5 Williams F1 Liveries of All-Time

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :

ADVERTISEMENT

Rohit Kumar

1296 articles

Rohit Kumar is an F1 author at EssentiallySports. He has been an ardent follower of the racing series since 2007, with his love for the sport coinciding with his love for Kimi Raikkonen. He is also an ardent follower of Sebastian Vettel and Aston Martin Racing.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT