feature-image
feature-image

LONDON (Reuters) – Leeds United’s controversial owner Massimo Cellino, who has had six managers in under two years at the club, says he would like one to stay for 10 years.

Watch What’s Trending Now!

“It’s bad firing a coach,” he said in an interview with The Times on Friday. “It’s very bad, the worst thing. You think I get peace from that?

ADVERTISEMENT

“My dream is to have coach for 10 years. It could happen at Leeds.”

The former European Cup finalists and Champions League semi-finalists have not won at home since March, which is the worst run in the club’s history, and Cellino sacked German manager Uwe Rosler last week after 12 matches in charge.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Thursday Rosler’s replacement, Steve Evans, saw the team lose 2-0 at home to Blackburn Rovers, conceding two goals in the first six minutes. That left them seventh from bottom of the Championship (second tier) with two wins from 14 games.

Cellino, the former Cagliari owner, took over in 2014 after initially failing the Football League owners’ test following a court case in Italy.

ADVERTISEMENT

He was banned again last December until the end of the season and has just appealed against a further disqualification after being found guilty of another tax offence.

“To save money I do 20 jobs,” he told The Times. “If they ban me and someone else comes in who does not fight for the club, it is dead.”

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Steve Tongue; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this with a friend:

Link Copied!

ADVERTISEMENT

Written by

author-image

Dhruv George

14,858 Articles

Dhruv George is EssentiallySports’ foremost authority on motorsport and a founding member of the outlet’s NASCAR desk. A Journalism graduate fluent in English and French, he brings over eight years of motorsports journalism experience covering everything from high-octane NASCAR battles to the finesse of Formula 1 and MotoGP. His extensive paddock access has earned him exclusive interviews with top names such as F1’s Pierre Gasly and Moto2’s Tony Arbolino, cementing his reputation as a trusted voice among racing fans. Known for his candid opinions, Dhruv isn’t afraid to tackle contentious officiating calls, most recently defending Joey Logano after the DYL penalty in Phoenix. Before focusing on NASCAR as a Senior Writer, Dhruv contributed extensively to EssentiallySports’ coverage of F1 and NASCAR, building a versatile and impactful sports portfolio.

Know more

ADVERTISEMENT