Daniil Kvyat looks to have secured his return to Formula One in 2019.
The Russian’s career has been quite rocky in the past few years. He debuted for Toro Rosso in 2013 alongside Jean-Eric Vergne. The Russian soon earned a swift promotion to Red Bull in 2015 alongside Daniel Ricciardo. However, after a string of poor results, he was demoted back to Toro Rosso and then ousted altogether.
He is currently a Ferrari simulator driver. But now, it appears that Red Bull is giving him yet another chance at redemption. The 24-year-old Kvyat set to return to Toro Rosso to replace Pierre Gasly in 2019, according to sources.
“He will drive for Toro Rosso next year. Contract signed,” former F1 driver Robert Doornbos said.
Another racing driver, Nick de Vries, also told the Dutch broadcaster: “The contracts were signed on Saturday at Monza. I was there all weekend.”
Indeed, Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko admitted in Singapore that a driver announcement is scheduled for the upcoming Russian GP.
Asked if it will be Kvyat, Robert Kubica or Antonio Giovinazzi, he coyly told Sky Italia: “One of them. I’ll tell you at Sochi.”
The rumours surrounding Kvyat is just another one in a long line of ‘silly season’ whispers. For now, the Faenza-based team is focused on the Singapore GP this weekend.
Brendon Hartley starts the race in 17th place. In the meantime, Pierre Gasly ended up 15th position. Haas’ Kevin Magnussen is the only driver splitting the two Toro Rossos.
Meanwhile, Kvyat is eager to get back into a racing seat once again and race once again. Another thing worth noting is that Brendon Hartley’s seat in the team isn’t safe either. The Kiwi has so far, underperformed compared to Gasly and could be ousted. If that is the case, will Toro Rosso field a brand new lineup?