Home/Tennis

via Imago

The Miami Dolphins clinched a consecutive playoff spot with their Christmas Eve win over the Cowboys. It’s the first time in 2 decades that the team has achieved this feat. If they could cross the wild card round’s barrier this time, not only will they break a decade-long hiatus in the NFL but also add a feather in the hat for two of the greatest tennis players ever.

The Williams sisters, Serena and Venus are among the most recognizable names in the world. They are also the minority owners in the Miami-based football franchise since 2009. While both the stars are effectively retired from the court, the Dolphins could present them with an opportunity to extend their sporting glories further.

The star-studded ownership group of the Miami Dolphins

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Current owner Stephen Ross purchased a 50% stake in the franchise in 2008, then again 45% in 2009, taking his total ownership to 95%. He paid $1.1 billion in total for the deal at the time. But Ross left 5% of the stake to welcome celebrity ownerships, and many stars across various fields have answered the call since.

The high-profile ownership group includes singer-songwriter and Jennifer Lopez’s ex-husband Marc Anthony, American singer Fergie, Latin music’s prominent figures Emilio and Gloria Estefan, and Tennis legends Serena and Venus Williams. The Tennis pair bought their stake in 2009 when the franchise was only valued at $1.1 billion, and the move turned out to be a success.

Read More: Wide Receivers Dazzle on New Year’s Eve as Tyreek Hill & Julio Jones Bid Goodbye to 2023 in Style

The Dolphins are the 11th richest NFL franchise valued at $5.7 billion. But their highly successful marketing strategy has failed to replicate in their trophy cabinet, as they still wait for their first conference championship since 1984.

Can the Miami Dolphins make Serena and Venus proud this time?

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

The Dolphins are the 2nd seed in the AFC, behind the Ravens. And the Ravens are not only the obstacle for the Miamian side, but for the entire league. They back-to-back crushed two Super Bowl contenders, the 49ers and the Dolphins in weeks 16 and 17. But there are other things to look at too.

The Dolphins haven’t managed to win the wild card round since 2001, the divisional round since 2000, and the conference championship since 1985. Their last Super Bowl appearance came the year prior and the last ring came in 1973, under legendary coach Don Shula. For a franchise with an eventful history like the Dolphins, that’s absurdly long.

USA Today via Reuters

But Mike McDaniel’s team has looked on par with the best teams in their day. If any team since the 1972 undefeated Dolphins were to go the distance, it would be the current one. With the robust defense combined with the dynamic HillTagovailoaMostert offense, they could take any side down on their best day. So will the glory come back to Miami after decades, making the Tennis pair proud? We have to wait for just a few more weeks to find out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

Watch This Story: A Look Into $6.9-Million Worth Luxury Mansion Tyreek Hill Almost Lost to Fire